Catholic church says may stop social services in state if Gay Marriage passes, thoughts?

The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington said Wednesday that it will be unable to continue the social service programs it runs for the District if the city doesn't change a proposed same-sex marriage law, a threat that could affect tens of thousands of people the church helps with adoption, homelessness and health care.

Under the bill, headed for a D.C. Council vote next month, religious organizations would not be required to perform or make space available for same-sex weddings. But they would have to obey city laws prohibiting discrimination against gay men and lesbians.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The Catholic church should have no say about what the government does. Unless they want the government telling them what to do.
    PamR

Answer by PamR at 6:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Catholic church has NO room to talk shit or be against anything. As long as their priests fondle little boys, they are NOTHING.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• How awful of the Catholic church to deprive people of the help they need and that theyve provided for all these years just because the state passes legal gay unions. I think thats completely wrong. Gay marriage has nothing to do with these people needing help. and really gay marriage has nothing to do with their church. Theyre not being required to marry them or anything so why punish anyone. I dont think being gay is something to be punished for and I am a christian woman and I am completely fine with gay marriage. I think any two people in love should be able to get married and spend the rest of their lives together. Were all human and all capable of love it is up to each person whom they want to be with and we cannot control whom we fall in love with. I think the Catholic church is being selfish and immaturely judgmental. but dont get me wrong I have NOTHING against the Catholics or the church. I just think this is horrible
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 2:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• They are using Poor people as their hostage , it is sickening

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Shame on them, this and many other reasons is why am no longer a Catholic.

Answer by older at 2:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That's not very Christian of them, now is it?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• What's their reasoning. It couldn't be that they don't condone gay marrage because if that is their reasoning they would have to quit services all over the U.S. where abortions are performed.
    Phase3

Answer by Phase3 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It doesn't say that they will stop helping people or running any of the programs they run, it says they will be forced to stop the contracts they have with the city, for which they are being paid for btw. There are still programs run by them out there that aren't included in that. Not that that will make a bit of difference to too many people here I'm sure, but just an FYI I guess.
    Anonymous

• Not sure what I think about this...do you have a link to the article?
    Anonymous

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/usreligiongayrights

Sorry, I usually post at top..
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009