How would you deal with a cat destroying your backyard?

I love animals...I have 2 cats myself...a 2 yr old and 12 yr old cat. My cats are indoor cats..they are afraid of their own shadow. My hubby is remodeling our backyard..putting in a new patio with new upper/lower patio area with firepit. My girls also have a brand new playset too. My neighbors got a kitten in June & basically because they don't like tending to a litter box..they just let the kitten run outside. He choses to use our new flower beds and under my girls playset as his litterbox. This is really upsetting me and we have mentioned to the neighbors, yet they do nothing about it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep a cat out of my back yard?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Pets

• I would buy one of these and keep it on when you are not outside.

http://www.contech-inc.com/products/catstop/

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I should say that is a humane way to keep pests from your yard. It just sprays them with a jet of water.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Oh I am so glad I came across this question! I work in a pet store and these kinds of problems (that I know the answers to) are my favorite!! Theres a spray called Boundary. It's a natural repellent that you can spray indoors and outdoors. they make one for cats and one for dogs. They sell a lot of it!! People come in all the time asking me what isle to find it on!
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754438
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 2:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Crushed up mothballs will keep cats from using an area as litter. They can't stand the smell of them. The mothballs aren't poisonous, nor do they hurt plants, or look bad. If this is just one cat he will quickly learn that your yard smells horrible (to him not to humans) and he won't come over to try and "potty" in your yard anymore. Unfortunately it doesn't work on dogs!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Catch the kitten and take it to a shelter or re-home it. If your neighbors aren't taking care of their pet, there are more issues at hand than just it's choice of litter box.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• honestly, i would not do a thing. It does not bother me. They are welcome to fertilize my gardens that soil needs all the help it can get. Besides the cats would have to be pretty stupid to come into my back yard were my dogs hang out. Granted my dogs are cat friendly ( i have 6 ) but they will chase if they run.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Anon :19, In a four word reply you managed to misspell two of them? And did you meant SHOOT the cat? What are you? Some animal hater?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2009