Private School

I live in Mississippi and if you haven't heard, our state's public schools routinely score low on standardized testing. I'm afraid that if my son is not in private school when he goes to college he will not be able to compete, or even be accepted. I would like for him to have the option to attend an Ivy League school if his merits allow. Education is very important to our family, but is private school really that different than public school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• It all depends on the school. My older kids go to private school for a variety of reasons. The deciding factor was how would have my intensely shy, speech delayed oldest done in public school? The answer is that he would have been lost and/or put in remedial classes. He is now in the 6th grade, outspoken and the teachers in his gifted classes routinely give him more challenging assignments.

For us it was a benefit. Take tours of all of the schools that would be possibilities for your child. Ask about literacy rates, ask to sit on different grade classes not just kinder, ask about help being available for slow learners and about gifted classes, and sit with your child after school and work with him/her.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I dont know if private schools are different from state to state but , in nc the teachers from private school can teach there without actually having a teaching degree...so thats something to think about. Maybe you can see if they have a program at the schools that allow the kids to take some classes in highschool while going to college. That way he will get college credits and it will look great on his resume
    Anonymous

• Move somewhere with great schools; in the long run, it will cost less than private school

Answer by rkoloms at 2:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Look into some kind of advance placement classes for your child, and make sure he stays on track with his studies! Teachers are not the only ones to blame for an illiterate child. I hear some of my colleagues complain constantly about the amount of homework their child has, and I'm like "what do you think is going to happen when they go to college??" It seems parents these days expect their kids to only have to study during school hours.

Texas private schools have the option of whether they require a teacher to actually have a certificate, however, many of the schools require graduate degrees in the specific area they teach which can be more beneficial.
    Anonymous

• Stay on top of your child's education! The schools can vary greatly from district to district, even from school to school. Do some research on your local schools instead of focusing on the state as a whole. Some private schools may be better, some not. Make sure you are pushing academics with your son and expose him to different types of people, music, art, etc. As he gets older, get him involved with extracurricular activities (which are very important to Ivy League schools).
    Even if he doesn't go to an Ivy League, public universities are great places and after a couple years on a job, many employers look more at previous work history rather than where your degree is from.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• O.K. standarized testing is not a mesure of education only a mesure of how well they test. Also, no one ever died from going to community or jr. college. Private schools aren't always much better.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Some private schools are a rip-off. Check out the individual school your child will attend. Also, only in certain fields does it matter what school a person attended. Ivy League schools can be a rip-off the same way a private school can.
    Having a teaching degree does NOT make a person a better teacher. Sit in on some classes and see how well a teacher teaches.
    Also, I'm not finding fault with your writing because frankly, I didn't notice, but make sure you are modeling good speech for your child and let them see you read for pleasure (and not romance or strictly fantasy novels) and that you demonstrate intellectual curiosity. Don't ever speak disparagingly about some other person being a nerd or dork or some other insult a bout being academically inclined. I think parents do their child a disservice when they criticize someone for that.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009