Your religion is against birth control, but your children are not

I just had this conversation with a few friends. If your child (boy or girl) tells you he/she is sexually active would you help the children find birth control?

A few of us said no and a few said yes.

*for the sake of this hypothetical situation all kids are under 18 and are no more than a year younger/older than their boyfriend/girlfriend.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 2:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope I would not. I would tell my child that it is wrong, and if they are going to continue then they will face the consequences. I don't think teens should be out having sex and all that crap, if they can't take care of a child then they shouldn't be messing with the matches around the gasoline.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• They are going to have sex rather you like it or not. So I personally would help my daughter find a birth control. I would prefer to do that then her getting pregnant.
    Anonymous

• I would praise abstinence(at least til they are out of my home LOL) but I would make sure they had condoms.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That is a tough hypothetical for me to consider because I am in no way against birth control. I hope I would help my child follow through with what they want based on their beliefs, not mine.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• First my religion isn't against birth control. Second, I would appreciate the fact that they trust me enough to tell me these things. Third if I could not persuade them not to be sexually active I would want them protected so I would get them b/c.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• teamquin, this question is hypothetical I was wondering about the religious aspect of it.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• "They are going to have sex rather you like it or not. So I personally would help my daughter find a birth control. I would prefer to do that then her getting pregnant."

Agreed.... I woudl make sure she is in a good palce with it, and give her the help she needs.
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Many of you are saying are what the other moms said. Kids will find a way to have sex and being a grandma at 30 -something is not in our plans. I have to say no I won't BUT I would buy a box of condoms and place them in the medicine cabinet.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Naturally you will raise your child(ren) to not have sex, to wait, etc... but in this now generation some are sexually active as young as 13 yrs old...
    When the time comes and the "Talk" is talked (LOL) b/c will be a topic along with waiting to have sex, but again if he comes to us or we find that he is sexually active, yes b/c will be available to him. But since I have a boy, I would also talk to him about "her" protection too... and continusly stress waiting...
    I became a grandmother in my 30's becoming a greatmother in my 50's is NOT going to be an opition.... at least not with this little man... lol...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would provide condoms, but not the pill. I don't believe that birth control that causes a fertalized egg to die is right. Besides, if my teen is sexually active, I'm much more concerned about them getting an STD then getting pregnant. Especially AIDS.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2009