Townhouses or Single Family Home which one is the best option? thank you for your advice

212lakay

Asked by 212lakay at 2:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would think a single family home, unless both have HOA ( Home association fees ) you have to pay every month or year.

A friend bought a townehome that went up in value by $100k before she moved in, but in today's economy she would not get the appraised value of it, much less sell it as quick as she bought it.

I would get a house, but first check to see what your home taxes would be. I know today you do not get as much space for your money. I would not buy a $180K townehome with people next to me with under 1,800 sq ft...when I might be able to find another house for the same with NO one so close and more square feet... then a townehouse which is like an apartment with people next to you........you hear them running up and down the stairs......specially if no carpet on the stairs....and you have people on either side if in the middle of it all unless you have an end unit.

Just check the options first.
    Anonymous

• We like single family homes, but we are a very energetic and loud family! I don't think anyone would want to share a wall with us!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 2:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Twin houses are nice for starter homes. But for a fsmily I like single homes.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Stop spamming the question board! You only need to ask once!
    Anonymous

• Single family. We have two dogs and need a big yard, and if we shared walls people would probably complain about barking, or DH playing guitar, etc.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We are in a townhouse right now. It works for us, we only have 1 daughter and a small dog. Our walls are very thick, as the townhouse was built in the 60's and is very durable. The entire thing was re-done by the previous owner who was an interior designer, so it is very nice and there is no yard to care for. The HOA covers air conditioning, the property, water, and trash. In the neighborhood we're in, we could not afford to buy a house, so this is the next best option. We cannot hear our neighbors at all and we have been there for almost 2 years. Not all townhouses are noisy!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009