Do I get the H1N1 Shot or no?

I am about 14 weeks pregnant. I am very leary about the shot. It is new, I don't know what it will do to me let alone my unborn child, and I don't know if it's been proven for anything. My 3 girls and I do get sick alot. Not sure if I want them to get it either. The doctors all want us to get it, but I just think it's because they want the money. I don't really trust the medical field. I know everyone makes mistakes, but I just don't. Help me please. I just need some opinions of yes or no and why. I want to be able to be around for a lllooooooonnnnngg time for my children. What do you ladies think?

KaceyKeys

Asked by KaceyKeys at 2:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Health

• i didnt get it..i know a few pregnant people who did. What i would do is look at what the risks are for not getting it. search online and see what happens when preg people get the swine flu. If they are just really sick but it doesnt have any lasting effects or major risks then i would just take the risk of getting sick. Being miserable for a week isnt near as bad asfinding out the shot is bad for the unborn..but i havent researched H1N1 and pregnancy so you can look around and weigh the risks.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I got the H1N1 shot because I'm also pregnant. I made sure I got a single dose pre-loaded syringe...these ones do NOT contain thimerosal (the glass bottles you see on TV where they fill a syringe is a multi-dose vial and DOES contain thimerosal)! The shot version is NOT a live strain, so you cannot get the flu from the shot.

It is made exactly the same way as the seasonal flu shot has been made for YEARS! And actualy there has been more testing on this vaccine than the seasonal flu vaccine. It's supposed to be more effective at preventing the h1n1 flu than the seasonal flu shot is from preventing the seasonal flu, because each year the manufacturers GUESS at the next years seasonal flu strain and make a vaccine based on that guess. However, for H1N1 they KNOW the strain.

I personaly know two women who were pregnant and got the swin1 flu. Both went into comas and their children were born via c-section while in comas
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i don't know what to tell you I am in the same boat to do or not to do so confusing ....try to stay washed up and away from the sick I guess! lol sorry no answer
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• one women flat lines 4 times but her and her son pulled through and she is awake, alive and well. The other mother had premature twin boys, and sadly she never re-gained consciousness, her boys will survive but she died, about two weeks ago.

My H1N1 flu shot gave me a sore arm for one day. It will protect my daughter once she is born until she is 6 months old and that is reassuring for me, I received it without a doubt in my mind!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think Mom2Jack has excellent points and it sounds like she has done some good research. If I was pregnant I would definitely get the vaccine as pregnant women seem to be at especially high risk, and if my daughter was not allergic to eggs she would be vaccinated for sure. I have a pregnant friend who got the vaccine last week for herself and her two year old son. I know people are making a big deal about the H1N1 vaccine but it is exactly like the seasonal flu vaccine except that it is for the H1N1 strain- everything else about the vaccines is the same so it is not really new or untested. And I think the medical personnel have your best interests at heart- if the ped and the OBGYN both say to get it, I would take their advice.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Thank you to everyone that answered. I will take all answers into consideration. This definitely gives me an insight what needs to be done. Love all of my moms!!!
    KaceyKeys

Answer by KaceyKeys at 2:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2009