Do you think this is true about dogs?

The dog that barks is the one that DOESN'T bite...or the phrase goes something like that. Does your dog bark at strangers but would never attack them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Pets

• I think thats a myth.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• yes my dog does that. he'll bark and sometimes even growl at them but he would never bite.Strange and funny dog.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think you mean "His bark is worse than his bite". Every dog has a voice, every dog barks. Every dog has teeth, every dog can bite. You never know when the dog is severely agitated, ill, etc......even your own dog can bite....shouldn't say "never".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My dog has a BIG bark and he would definitely back it up with a BIG bite if he needed too.

I think the phrase you're thinking of is "All bark and no bite".
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• yea that's the phrase Blue
    Anonymous

• I have one that I don't believe would bite (but you never do know with certain circumstances). In fact, I had him outside with me when the mailman came along. The mailman puts his hand on his pepper spray and I told him, it's okay this one won't hurt you (my other two would), and he said...."Yeah, famous last words, I have heard that before....See?" and shows me a nasty scar from a dog bite on his calf. Ouch!
    Anonymous

• I don't really buy into that. I think it just depends on the dog, their back ground and the circumstances leading up to it. I have a chicken dog that will bark at everyone that comes up our driveway even me at times and has never bitten. My other dog will bark but even though he is not aggressive by nature if he feels someone or something is a threat to us he will protect us. He has never bitten anybody but he did try once. But in that case the guy was suspicious and really made me nervous. He also ignored my dogs warning barks.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my golden retriever has a big bark, and yes, when people try to pet him he snaps at them...now i dont know if he would actually bite..but...he is very protective..so..however i will never know, because i dont let strangers come near him, not willing to take that chance..some people try because goldens arent known for really being like that..but..yaaaaaa mines special i guess..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Don't fall for that one. A barking dog is trying to get you to go away. If that doens't work, then sometimes they will follow it up with a bite. I have heard that phrase before (All bark and no bite) as well as "A barking dog never bites."

ALEXIS_06: if your dog is snapping at people, then make no mistake, he will bite them. A snap is just a bite that didn't connect and is just as serious of a problem as a dog that actually has bitten. You are right to take precauions with him, but it's probably fixable, if you can find a good trainer. Good luck!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2009