Another hypothetical

Say your teenage daughter gets pregnant. You believe abortion is wrong. You try to convince your daughter that it is a sin & she should give her baby up for adoption, but she won't agree. She insists that abortion is not wrong or sinful & believes it is absolutely the only option for her. Would you sign for her to have an abortion?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you have to support her choice- I am sure she knows that you don't agree, but since that is established, move on and stand behind her. If she wants an abortion and can't get one with your permission she could take actions that are even worse like getting one illegally or trying to induce a miscarriage on her own.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Again this is a hard question for me because I am not against abortion, so again I can only say I hope that I would put my daughter's choices about her body before my beliefs.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• No, because more than just a sin - it is taking away a human life. As a teen she is mostly scared and centered on herself, as a parent it is my responsibility to direct her into making good choices, even if those choices are hard.

If I allowed her to abort her very first child what would I say to her when she is an adult, feeling guilty because she finally understands what she did, and she asks me why wasn't I strong enough to keep her from killing her baby?
    Anonymous

• no, she didn't listen to me about the dangers of being sexually active I will not allow her to kill a baby. In fact, I doubt I Iet her live in my house if she kills her own flesh and blood. I couldn't look at a monster that would kill a baby because of her own selfish desires.

but luck for me my kids are 10000% against abortion and know it is nothing short of baby killing.
    Anonymous

• I would sign because adoption is not as easy as everyone thinks. Its is the hardest thing to do. If you dont sign then there is risk of her trying to abort the baby herself which can cause major damage. Also it should be her choice not yours. My mom forced me to give my daughter up for adoption and I now I have no relationship with her and I despise her.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Answered at 2:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous If I allowed her to abort her very first child what would I say to her when she is an adult, feeling guilty because she finally understands what she did, and she asks me why wasn't I strong enough to keep her from killing her baby?

And if, as an adult, she hates the child & asks you why you didn't allow her to get the abortion she wanted, sinks into a depression & kills herself because she feels out of control of her life? There seems to be just as much to worry about whichever decision you make, if you are making the decision for her IMO. Your point is valid, but it isn't a foregone conclusion that she would feel guilty. The way I see it, making the decision for her is the danger. 

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I now I have no relationship with her and I despise her.
    --

and how much of a relationship would you have with her if you killed her?
    Anonymous

• No. At 14 she is in no way capable of making such a decision.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I should have made that decision. I have had an abortion and I have no regrets whatsoever. On top of that I was date raped when I got pregnant so when I look into my daughters eyes I have to see the person that raped me. Not everything is black and white.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2009