how am I gonna make it?

All the bills are paid excluding grocery (I don't consider that a bill) but I only have $590 left till end of month...there's 4 of us ugh!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ok. Some people were a little rude with you and I think the main reason is just that the recession has been so hard on most families, but that is not an excuse so on behalf of them I apologize. Here are my suggestions: Can your husband carpool with someone?  If that is possible you could save a lot because then the cost of gas could be split several different ways. Budget Saving Recipes-Check out recipes for casseroles and other budget saving meals.  Even if your family is on a restricted diet you should be able to find appropriate recipes to accommodate you.  And don't let left overs scare you. A lot of the time you can take them and create an entirely new meal with them by just adding a few ingredients.Make A Grocery List and stick to it! I have saved a ton by not even stopping to look at stuff that wasn't on my list
    brownbaggirl

Answer by brownbaggirl at 4:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That's almost $300/week. You can't feed your family of 4 on $300/week?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Are you serious, you don't think you can make it with only $590, if you cannot feet 4 of you for that amount in the next 17 days then you need someone to teach you how to shop for groceries. I don't spend that for a family of 7 for an entire month. I am not being mean but that is alot of money for groceries for 17 days.
    Anonymous

• Um...that's more than enough honey. Are you kidding me?! We live on LESS than that EVERY MONTH.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My husband and I grocery shop and only spend $100/wk for a family of 5
    angiewith2

Answer by angiewith2 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• are you saying there is only food to buy? I agree with above poster, that is alot if you only have grocercies to buy. Is the rent paid? What is it that you think you need more money for? I am trying to understand your question....
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• hun you are in such a better place than alot of families(including my own) are right now. my husband has been cut back to 3 days a week and we are barely making our rent let alone food. my mom has been having to help out with food costs just so my kids dont starve. you will be fine. if you check out coupons.com that saves me a good 40 a week on food and also other things like shampoos, diapers, medicines.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Dollar stores can be your best friend. Also kraftfoods.com has plenty of budget meal ideas and they have this nifty thing where you can type in the food you have in your pantry and makes a meal out of it! Also Walmart saves me lots of money when I do my grocery shopping. and I've been able to feed my family of three on 30 dollars a week... including diapers and wipes and 2 gallons of milk. you have to cut corners and think cheap. I think you have plenty of money to last you the rest of the month but for the future you can look into any churches in your area taking Angel Food orders.
    http://www.angelfoodministries.com/
    you can definitely make it.
    Need any more tips let me know!
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 2:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Hmmm, all of our bills are paid and my husband doesn't get paid for 12 more days and we only have $40 left for food, and I'm ok with that. Maybe you left something out of your post, but having $590 left after the bill are paid is wonderful.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Your joking right.
    Anonymous