Does a SAHM have to sign the Tax Return even if she doesn't work and the husband is the sole provider?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• The responsible thing to do as a wife and mother is to have a good handle on what's going on with the finances. That includes tax returns that are filed on your behalf if filed jointly. Read it. Understand it. Sign it. SAHM or not, you're a partner in the marriage and have full rights to understand what's going on with the money. If you don't you're going to be a victim someday....somehow.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Nope. My Mom is a SAHM and hasn't seen what my step-father files for years! lol
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 2:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes, if it is filed as a joint return. I have been SAHM and working mom and have signed returns every year.
    Anonymous

• If you file a joint return, which is usually more advantagous, then you both have to sign it. Your husband can file married filing separate, but then he won't get any deduction for you and may loose out on other deductions depending on your situation.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have to sign our joint return.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I do--don't know what universe the first responder files in
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 4:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Well, technically both husband and wife are supposed to sign it. We file online. I do all the work, I show it to my husband, he says "ok, submit it". I submit it online and it asks each of us to put in a "pin number" as our signature and I put in one for both of us. So if the first posters step father is doing something similar, it's possible that his wife never does see it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yep, we have investment accounts in both our names. If my husband and I filed seperately we would be screwed. We usually break even together or get a couple hundred back.
    Anonymous

• People haven't been able to file online "for years" and not insisting on seeing a document that is submitted with your tacit approval is just stupid. Means she doesn't know how much income the household has in a given year, either; if he left or suddenly died, where would she be? Does she know if her name is on the title to the house? Does he have life insurance and is she the beneficiary? She needs to know these things, and more.
    SaraCVT

Answer by SaraCVT at 7:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If you file jointly, then yes.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009