What's a good age to start sending your child to school?

Just wondering...We are thinking about waiting until he is 5 is that too late?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well kids do better in kindergarten if they have a year of preschool but its all about your comfort and his needs. my daughter started at two because of developmental delays and i wanted her to be ready when it comes time for kindergarten. my oldest only went to headstart for 6 months before she started kindergarten.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• 5 would be going straight into kindergarten.

you don't NEED preschool but for some kids it helps. my oldest despised preschool - we ended up pulling her out and waiting until kindergarten. my other 2 (one is now in grade one, and other is in preschool) thrive on it
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It depends on your school district, the cut-off date and your child. My daughter was 4 when she attended kindergarten. The cut-off date was December 31, on turning 5.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I put my son in at 3 headstart program he loved it e is now 4 and next year he starts kinder and he is exited about it and i'm going to put my daughter in headstart next year if she is accepted
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 4:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It all depends on your child and his readiness for kindergarten without preschool. School is so much different from when I went to kinder knowing how to write my name and how to count to 10. Now they have to learn so much so quickly, like writing their sentences in mixed letters not just capitals, basic addition and subtraction. My kids and I didn't work well with me teaching them - I am better at taking them places, so I sent them to pre-k by 3. All of them have thrived, especially my youngest who should be in an Early 5's kinder but so much was going on that I didn't realize until it was too late; so he'll go to kinder on time in the fall.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would start at age 3 or 4. All children are different but it certainly helps for children to learn to be away from mommy, take direction from others, etc.
    My twins have a Nov. birthday so they won't be starting kindergarten until 5.9. We've been going to playgroups for a long time and in two weeks they start a toddler program (cheaper than pre-school). They'll be going to pre-school next Sept.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think three is a good age. At that age the child is learning how to make friends and to be away from mommy.
    Praise2

Answer by Praise2 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son is 3.5 years old and is currently in his 2nd yr of preschool. He loves it, socializes with other children, and has to listen to rules/people other than at home. He is has learned so much and has made friends.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• 3 is a good age to start preschool. There is so much that kids need to learn in Kindergarten that a headstart on it is a great idea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My daughter was in birth to 3 program and she started her first year of "special school" when she was 2 1/2.. now she is in head start this year and absolutely loves it! She will be 4 Dec. 1st. Next year she will be going straight to kindergarten! It depends on how comfortable you are with your child going to school at a certain age, and how they tolerate it. I am very lucky my daughter started soo soon, so has caught up to her peers, and LOVES school! She is soo darn cute =)
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009