Delaying Vaccinations?

My son will be 12 months next month and will be getting his first set of shots. Now I plan on doing one shot at a time for right now, and I found a catch-up schedule from the AAP:

http://www.aap.org/sections/infectdis/IZSchedule_Catchup.pdf

Now, my question is, have other parents delayed vaccinating? How did you do it? I haven't read Dr. Sears book, but I do plan on buying that to read before I go to his appointment next month. Any information would be great! Thanks!

***Also, I am a stay at home mom and breastfeed my son...

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 2:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am also delaying my daugter's vaccinations. She's now 7 1/2 months old. I'm waiting until I've fully researched each one to my satisfaction and then when she does get some (I'm sure it will be very few) it will probably be after 1 year old and it will be very spread out. I've been meaning to get that Dr. Sears book as well and will be getting it very shortly.

I think you should do what you feel is right as a parent but wanted to let you know you're not alone. Don't let anyone else tell you what you have to do or shouldn't do with regards to vaccines (my in-laws can't believe I haven't gotten my daughter her vaccinations yet), just go on what you feel is right.
    sierra32709

Answer by sierra32709 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Honestly, you should get the book, as most ppl on here do there own schedule based on what they want their child to have in regards to vaccines.
    Anonymous

• You have to do what is right for your family, but this is basically what I followed:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller15.html

The first part is the reason behind his selective/delayed vaccination schedule and the actual guidelines are at the bottom.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i agree with anon
    read the book. buy it if you can so that you can highlight information that is most important to you. Then go with your gut.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Personally I am delaying vaccines until my son is 2, and even then I will only give the bare minimum of shots -- all spread out by 6 months. A DTAP (hopefully spread this out if possible), an inactivated polio, and Hepatitis A.. and then not until he is a pre-teen will he get Hepatitis B..

That is my personal schedule. I think 6 months is adequate time for the immune system to recover from a vaccination.

I also think MMR and such are unnecessary, but that is just me .. I recommend Dr. Sears book and I also recommend joining the vaccination groups on here for more information..
    Anonymous