Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Public Assistance recipients get money deposit in their Bank Accounts directly from Government Agencies?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • A friend of mine at work and I were talking about how she gets her "child support". Her ex husband doesn't pay her because he refuses to work so she gets money from the gov't to support her children in place of his child support that he should be paying. I'm guessing it is probably TANF that she gets. But she has a debit card that they give her. She can have the money direct deposited into her account but she said it takes about 3 weeks longer to get it that way so she doesn't. I know that things like food stamps (now EBT cards) are strictly on debit type cards b/c they are to be used only for food.

    Answer by amyrw at 9:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • In Colorado you can request it, but it's not required. That is for unemployment. Not sure about any of the others.

    Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • No not that I know of.
    Unless you get TANF

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • you get a special debit card In most states

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • I would hope not, from an auditing stand point (having audited a housing authority. It's easier to varify who the check went to than who owns the account.). But from an efficiency standpoint, it would make since to do so. But not sure on that one. My audit was a number of years ago. direct deposit and electronic fund transfers are more common place.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • Some places - that's becoming the standard for everything. We just got "school debit cards" so we can have our entire financial aid package either loaded on a debit card or direct deposited to the bank instead of waiting for them to cut a check from the FA office at school.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • my freind always goes to the bank to get her money but im not sure how it works.

    Answer by Aasiyah at 7:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • I know here that they do with SSI payments (my friend is blind), but I am unsure of other forms of cash payments through public assistance.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • I think a lot of places give you a debit card with your funds on it. Not nec tied to the bank account.

    Answer by LiliM at 8:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

  • Anymore most places will give you a debit card that is not tied to your personal bank account. Sometimes one card can be used for more than one type of assistance and even can be used for child support. It depends on the state I suppose. And unemployment has a debit card too unless you specify otherwise again it depends on the state for that too).


    Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009