Does anyone else's toddler cry after naptime?

Gavin usually is very weepy and whiny after he wakes up from a nap. Some days he throws a tantrum for what seems like no reason at all, and it can last from 15-45 minutes! There's nothing I can do to settle him. Any advice or insight?

GavinsProudMom

Asked by GavinsProudMom at 2:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is usually cranky after a nap. So we go downstairs and I rock him in our glider while watching Sesame Street. He'll just lay in my arms for another 10-15 minutes and then decide it's time to get down and play. He's 14 months.
    Anonymous

• OMG YES!!!!!!!! he did this since he was 1 and finally at 20 months I think I had ENOUGH.. it would sometimes take him 2 hours to snap out of his "nothing will make me happy" type of whining crying moods.. finally I just started putting him in his room and told him to come out when he's all done, a phase he knew well by 20 months old.it took about a week of 10 times a day to realize wow, mommys really not going to put up with it... I also tried bringing in juice or water or a snack in there in case it was hunger that made him mad.. or we try being funny like I would take his stuffed animals from his crib and do a silly puppet show or his dad would pick up a pillow or his stuffed animal and pretend it was him and act like he didn't know where max was to make him laugh.. we still have to be creative after nap times but the fits aren't as often anymore at all - they used to be every am and every nap ugh!i thought I was alone!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son is 13 months and he gets cranky after naps sometimes. He usually wants to be held.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Lots of kids are cranky after thier naps. I think it's hard for them to shake off the "sleepies". What works for us is this: While she is sleeping I make her a meal. Not a snack, but an actual meal (she's only 2 so making her her own meal doesn't take much). Then when she wakes up we sit & cuddle for a while, sometimes we even watch a show she likes. Then I take her to go potty, and then serve her the meal. It seems like a simple snack & then waiting till 6pm to eat dinner is not what her body needs. She is for- real hungry when she wakes up. That almost always works. Then when DH gets home & we are having dinner I offer her what we are eating or some snacks. She is welcome to sit with us & eat or she can play while we eat, it's her choice. When she is older we can do the family dinner thing. I think at this age it's too much to ask from her. This has worked for many familes I know. Good luck to you!
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 9:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son used to do this too, I found what works for him is sitting in his crib for 10-15 minutes after he wakes up. If I go in and get him any sooner he cries and is very crabby and whiney. If I wait he is super happy! I think he just needs that extra time to wake up a little.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2009