How do i even start night time potty training?

I wanna start nighttime potty training my 5yo boy for night time he is daytime potty trained i wanted him to get nighttime before he goes to kindergarten next year

famedcheeze

Asked by famedcheeze at 3:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can't do anything other than avoid drinks before bed. He'll do it when his body is ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• When my daughter started using the potty the night time was a continuation of the day. No drinks 2 or 3 hours before bedtime and peeing in the potty before going to bed.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I tell my son, at bedtime, that when he feels his "pee pee" coming, he has to wake up and come wake up mommy. I give him firm instructions "Do not pee in your diaper."

Ok now you are going to laugh at us but this is what we do.....we point at his "weenie" and tell it "hey weenie, you wake up. No pee pee on me!" Ok, he repeats it alot and giggles. Let it be the last thing you and your son talks about.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Ok. Here;s what we did. It worked, so people saying it doesn't work - blah to them.

Limit drinks. Nothing after dinner except a few sips right before bed. Make sure he goes to the bathroom right before he crawls into bed. Wake him up about 12 or so (1 is better if you stay up late anyway) and make him go again. You will have to do this about a month or so till his body adjusts to it. He may be cranky at first, but it will be worth it in the end. Give him stickers and a reward after so many days for making it through dry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• After the month/month and a half when you decide he is ready (enough dry nights in a row and when you ask him if he's willing to try and feels good about it) stop waking him up in the middle of the night. KEEP LIMITING DRINKS. For a few nights he may wet, keep doing extra laundry for a few days, see if he's dry within a full week or two. If not, go back to waking him up. If he is dry you should be good to go! Hopefully no more wet nights!

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, after you feel he gets it after a couple of months or so, you can pretty much not limit the drinks. Just make sure he still goes before going to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thak you all for your help :) i will start december so i can buy matress cover and stuff for his bed better to be safe than sorry thanx to you all!
    famedcheeze

Answer by famedcheeze at 9:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I didn't do anything other than limiting liquids at night. My son naturally stopped wetting at night by 5 and my dd by 3yo. After they were dry every night for two weeks I stopped using diapers, though their beds still have mattress covers.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We went through this with one of our children. We were told that it has something to do with the size and development of a child's body. We limited the amount of liquids, even got them up once during the night but we still had occasional accidents. Time will fix the problem. Until then they have some night time undies you can get similar to pull ups. Sometimes your doctor can prescribe something to help depending on the situation.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I agree with happynewyorker. but if you more worried about it than that then maybe talk to his pediatrician. about it. gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2009