What happen to the days of the man being the ultimate Provider?

I get paid more than my husband but I still think we should split the mortgage in half. Its our home and we should have to both pay half. We both have other bills. I dont want to argue about it but I dont know how to get my point across... even if he has to get a part time job. There are bills he is not even paying and thankfully they have nothing to do with my name on them but why would someone not want to pay the stuff. Does this even make sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Relationships

• No, because both our checks are put in our joint account and we pay our bills together and make our financial decisions together, no matter who makes more money. Times have changed honey, the men don't have to be the soul provider and I will do what I have to to make sure there is bread on the table as well as my man.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Uh no it does not make sense. I get you like splitting bills and mortgage in half but not everyone works. I dont work so why do i need to help? My husband is the one working and doing all that and i tend to keep it that way. I just dont like to work, its something that i think is boring and there is no job out there that i find interesting.
    Anonymous

• What??? In my marrige we don't have "his" money and "my" money it's just our money. all of it.
    Anonymous

• Anon 15. i agree, even though i dont work his money is my money as well. there is no his
    Anonymous

• We have sep accounts bc he has been married before. If she decides to sue him for anything.. cuz she is nuts like and if my name was on the account the i would go down with it. Which is not COOL! So we have seperate accounts and we try to split the bills. I pay the entergy.. he pays water. Etc.
    Anonymous

• Wow...I didn't realize there were still women out there who could stay home and have the husband make all the money and pay all the bills. I'm sorry. I'm not downing anyone. I'm just amazed. My hubby and I both work. We are both deputies and we make close to the same amount of money. It's "our" money. They bills are "our" bills. If one goes down, we both go down. That's the way it works in our house.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I don't agree at all. I think that anons 14 you are a VERY LAZY PERSON. As a parent and an adult i will do whatever it takes to make sure that all of our bills are paid and there's food on the table and a roof over our head and $$ in our pockets at all times. I don't get up at 2am for work for my health I do it so my bills are paid and roof over our heads and food on our table mind you i sometimes don't get home from work until 2-3pm. Times has change and the male isn't lways the bread winner now a days.
    Anonymous

• We have 1 account and from that we pay all our bills. You are 1 family - that is crazy!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• "Splitting" the bills is for room mates. " Paying the bills" is what a married couple does.

If the two of you are truly in it for the long haul then just deposit the checks, pay the bills, set as much as you can away for savings in a joint account and be careful and considerate with whatever spending money is left over.

It's not a contest. It's a marriage.
    Hey, that's good. I just made that up. I think I will put that on my home page.

Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 3:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree that it's odd that your $$ is so separate. DH and I have 1 joint account and consider it 'our money' regardless of who makes what. He makes a bit more, but I provide health insurance for our daughter, which is worth a lot of $$ these days.
    Anonymous