How to I teach my 6mnth old to sleep on her own?

I have created a bad routine that I didn't plan to. I breastfeed and at night, I lay down with my girl and she feeds and falls asleep. She has been staying in the bed with me through out the night and I feed her when she wakes up. I now want to teach her to fall asleep on her own and in her crib and if she wakes through the night how to put herself back to sleep. I will need help on knowing when she needs to be fed through out the night though. Any help, any advice???

Keliy23

Asked by Keliy23 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One of my friends is going through the same thing. She puts the baby down in the crib after she nurses the baby. She said she warms the baby's spot in the crib with a heating pad on low while she is feeding her baby. Then she removes the pad when she puts the baby down. ( a hot water bottle would work too) Be careful not to make it to warm and you need to remove the heating pad before you lay the baby down. She said her baby is waking up during the night and every time she goes in to check the baby but doesn't pick her up. She still feeds the baby once during the night but they sit in a rocking chair. They've only been working on it for a week. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OK. First, you didn't do a bad thing. You did a very GOOD thing,.,,reducing your child's risk of SIDS.

Following the baby's cues is never never never a bad thing.

There's a great article on drjaygordon.com on how to transition baby to her own bed. BUT..he doesn't recommend it till ONE YEAR. Those night nursings will be needed all through year one.

Don't expect her to really learn to put herself back to sleep till sometime after the first birthday. It's just not something they're capable of yet.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• LifesADance...remind your friend to keep an eye on the dipe count. If it drops, she needs to nurse during those night wakings. If it doesn't...keep up the good work!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with gdiamante.
    Anonymous

• I also don't think you've done anything wrong at all, it sounds like you're doing a great job. I do understand wanting her to go to sleep on her own. My baby is 7 1/2 months old and not falling to sleep on her own or putting herself back to sleep when she wakes up, but she is sleeping a lot better than she was a month ago. I don't personally agree with CIO.

The books I've liked on the subject are The Happiest Baby on the Block, The No Cry Sleep Solution, and The Baby Book. These have helped me a lot. I think the important points are setting up a good routine at night including setting up sleep cues such as music, bath, etc, that let baby know it's bed time. Also important is making sure she naps well during the day and feeds well. She should be getting about 4 hours of naps at that age and getting most of her food during the day. It's normal for them to wake up to eat 1-2 times a night until about 1 1/2 years old.
    sierra32709

Answer by sierra32709 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree to wait until at *least* a year. Most kids aren't really ready until closer to 2... she'll go to her own bed and be able to put herself back to sleep when she's ready to.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009