Do you think a goal of losing 5 lbs a month is good for someone who is trying to lose 120 lbs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• The recommendation is 1-2 lbs a week when losing weight even if it's a large amount. So 4-8 lbs a month is good. The reason for this is so you can learn healthy habits along the way. If you lose too fast you are more likely to hurt yourself and not do it the healthy way. Many people that need to lose over 100 lbs have had unhealthy eating habits and exercise habits that are ingrained in them. The journey you take to lose those lbs are important because in order to keep the weight off you will need to know how to eat right, exercise the right amount, and learn to deal with stresses the right way. It's hard to learn those things when you are doing it the "Biggest Loser" way and exercising 6 hours a day to lose 5 lbs a week.
    nicolbw

Answer by nicolbw at 11:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• if you set your expectations low, your going to achieve low.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i was gonna say yes...but then when i read how much needs to be lost i change my mind to no...obviously thats a lot of weight that needs to be lost, so i think you should be able to lose at least 2-4lbs a WEEK..i think a better goal would be to just lose as much as you can as fast as you can in a healthy way
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I'd shoot for 2lbs a week and see how it goes. If you're meeting the goal for a few weeks then shoot for 3lbs, then 4, up to 5lbs a week. I don't think you expectations are low, I think you're just tying to be realistic for someone just starting out and that is good! If you set out to lose 5lbs the 1st week and don't you might get discouraged and quit.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Seeing you need to lose so much weight, you really should talk to your doctor about what would be a healthy goal. You could probably lose that a week and be ok. The recommended amount to lose weight a week is 2-3 pounds but it also depends on if you are following a diet from a doctor, how much weight you need to lose and how you are losing it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• That sounds very sensible. 1-2 pounds a week is recommended for sustainable weightloss (lose it fast, gain it fast).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I agree with the above poster.I have learned so much since I have lost weight.My eating habits are alot different now and I know what I have to do to keep my weight off.Just focus on eating better and incorporate some cardio into your week and you will see results.I cant stress enough how better you will feel with excersise.1-2 pounds a week is the normal amount of weight you should be losing.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Healthy weight loss is from 0.5 to 2.0 pounds per week. If you lose it fast, it typically isn't healthy and typically it comes back more likely if you lose it fast. Most people don't put weight on fast so they shouldn't expect to lose it fast either.

Unless you do something drastic, like go on Biggest Loser or get gastric bypass or something, fast weight loss isn't the way to go.

5 pounds a month is a good, steady, way to lose weight and be more likely to keep it off.

Don't go on a DIET. Move to a healthier lifestyle. If you make it a lifestyle and not a diet, you are more likely to keep it off long term.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I think 5 ponds is good only because if you set your goal too high, you might never get there
    Anonymous

• It's an excellent goal. Any higher than that would be setting yourself up to fail. There will be set backs and plateaus you have to deal with so your goal is reasonable. My doctor says 2 lbs a week is enough of a goal to stay on track. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat so when you build your muscle mass (which will burn up more calories for you) then you might not see a weight loss for a while so don't get frustrated.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2009