How do I break my kids out of eating hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pizza, and grilled cheese and get them to try new healthy foods?

I've made the horrible mistake of making seperate meals. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and I need advice on how to go about changing this in the least painful way possible. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• make pizza with grilled chicken and veggies, go slow so they don't notice, all white meat chicken nuggets are not horrible, also try cheese sticks, and any veggie with real cheese sauce, apples, raw carrots, any fruit, I feel your pain but slowly changed and dear son is doing much better! Good luck mommy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Gradually. Try out Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook. She incorporates healthy food into her children's favorite foods. Let them be part of the cooking process you will be amazed at how much better they eat if they have helped make it.
    Anonymous

• Start this weekend, cook them healthy stuff and when they get hungry enough they will eat it or they will be really hungry by monday!!!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Make them healthy meals and they can choose to eat it or be hungry. Don't give in and offer anything else. It won't take them long to start eating what you give them.

Ease into the change.......I wouldn't make them broccoli and liver for the first meal.....LOL......but some grilled chicken and green beans would be fine.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Make it fun and get them involved. Make a day of going shopping for fruits and veggies and letting them sample them. Let them (or at least the older one) pick a fruit or veggy to try at dinner that is new to them. Cut up the ones you can into fun shapes, offer dipping sauces they like with them. You can also always try pureeing them up and adding them to other foods they like so they don't even know it's there, or figure out other ways to disguise them. For things you want them to try other than fruits and veggies, try giving it a funny or interesting name. Maybe try offering whatever it is as a side dish with one of their favorite foods just to get them started trying some other things. It doesn't have to be hard and you don't have to fight them over it, just try to be a little creative and see what works for your kids.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 3:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• simply present them with food. they may reject it, but rest assured that if you do not give in, they WILL eat it when they are hungry.

it did not become a normal eating pattern overnight, so expect it to take a while to change. they may refuse a few meals, it will not kill them. when they are hungry, they will eat. make their food look "fun" and they are a lot more likly to eat it.
    google "jamie oliver" he wrote a cute book recently, full of his dd's fav recipes (relatively healthy), and the ideas are all geared at making toddlet food fun to eat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• stop buying them. make healthy versions of them. Set a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods. We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    I have lots of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes. Send me a message offlist if you would like them.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• just do it! Be firm. they will eat it soon enough.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2009