My 14 month old keeps waking up scared in the middle of the night!!! Why is this, and what can I do about it?

My son is 14 months old. For the past few nights, he has been waking up around 4am, and has been screaming and and acting very scared! He will NOT stay in his crib! I have tried to just make him lay back down, but he insists on getting out! I have tried swaying with him, rocking him, and I have even tried taking him back to bed with me (which I will NOT do again, because I don't want him to get used to that!) After about an hour or two, he falls asleep and I put him back in his bed. Is there some stage they go through at this age and he will grow out of it? Or is there some growth or brain developement that he might be going through that could cause this? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to keep him in his bed and to get him to fall back asleep faster? Please help me!

MommyHannah

Asked by MommyHannah at 3:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I remember my son doing this too. It happened 2 times pretty severe and I still don't know why, those 2 times he looked like he was possessed and was screaming and rolling on the floor and wide awake and getting up and throwing himself on the floor again over and over for 45 minute.. i still don't know about those, but it he ok once you pick him up? what does he do if you take him out and set him down?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I just try to lay him back down, but he won't have it! So I sway him, rock him, and get him back to sleep after about 2 hours. I don't let him down to play or anything. He doesn't cry once I take him out of his crib. He just stares and acts sleepy, but won't go to sleep for 2 hours!
    MommyHannah

Answer by MommyHannah at 4:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Hmmm, my dd did the same thing about the same age. 3 nights in a row, she woke up terrified in the middle of the night. I rocked her, put her back down unsuccessfully, rocked her again, etc. Then all of a sudden, she slept through the night again. I guess it's just a brief thing, so don't be afraid to cuddle your lo. It won't last more than a couple days.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009