Is it safe to mail cookies?

Thinking about mailing some cookies to some relatives for the winter holidays... anyone done that? Anything I should know about packaging? Will they stay fresh?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Don't send any with chocolate. The chocolate can and more then likely will melt and make the cookies not so pretty.
    Anonymous

• I made peanut butter cookes and sent them to my husband in Afghanistan. They took about 10 days to get there but he said they were still pretty fresh lol. Normally mail in the cont US should only take 2-3 days so I think it would be fine. I just wrapped them really well in foil and then wrapped bubble wrap around them so they didn't crumble from being thrown around in the box.
    Anonymous

• Mail them now. The post office is getting backed up already due to Holiday shipping. Put them in a ziplock bag and maybe a tin (boxed) or a box w/ peanuts. They should last. I worked at Mail Boxes Etc. and people were always mailing food.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Yes, you can mail them. I sent cookies all the time to my husband. All kinds, too. Even chocolate chip and they all arrived fine. Pack them in a crush proof container, then wrap the container with bubble wrap and put in a tight box.

To help keep them fresh, put a slice of white bread in with your cookies. My great grandma taught me that trick and it really works.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Hi ethans_momma06. I work for The UPS Store home office and you can definitely ship cookies and other baked goods. We have tips listed on our Web site to help you and other bakers send a taste of home this holiday season. Hope these help - http://theupsstore.com/shipshape/p2.html. Happy baking and happy holidays!
    TheUPSStore_PR

Answer by TheUPSStore_PR at 12:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2009