do you know the difference?? PLEASE HELP

My son just got his allergy blood test back and his dr. said he is allergic to soybeans. She said to avoid like a bean curd, and soybeans themselves as well as Tofu, but he is fine with soy products (she thinks). Soy is in everything, and I am not understanding what makes him okay to have some soy and not others. He is deathly allergic to lentils, and is only 1 number lower on his test in regards to the soybean. Can you PLEASE help me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just curious.. how did you know he was allergic to anything? I have a son they wont' do food allergy testing for even though he has chronic constipation from birth and has gotten red spots from certain foods and is by far the most irritable child ever made... I know its something in his food but I can't prove it without testing, they said the testing is completely inaccurate at this age?? and to do food trials... I still don't know what's bothering him as food trials take weeks for certain signs to know what they are affected by when you are dealing with irritability and constipation. I have an appt with a dietician finally after having him tested for celiacs ( which luckily came back negative ) But what are your son's signs?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OP here...He had a severe allergic reaction to just a 1/4 tsp of the broth of lentil soup. They had to rush him to the ER and he was swollen and almost died. I shoved benadryl down his throat, and they said if I had not done that he would have died. They told me he was too little for allergy testing, but they did a RAST test with bloodwork to see what he was allergic too. They said it wasnt as accurate as the prick test, but I would at least know what he may be allergic to. I found a specialist a few hours away that is a pediatric allergist and he does do the prick test. I just cant wait a few more weeks to find out what to keep him away from. He has epipens now, but still. He is 17 months.
    Anonymous

• Wow.. that is terrifying. Had he had any other allergies to foods that you knew of before this horrible incident?
    Its really sad when it takes something like this for tests to actually be done for kids when there ARE accurate allergy tests that should and could be done beforehand. I am so sorry.. I wish I had any information for you on this at all. I would call his doctor back and see if they can further explain this to you or maybe you could contact a dietician/nutritionist?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The protein in the food/ pollen/ product causes the allergic response.
    There are a ton of sites that will help you find foods that are soy free. Just google Soy free and tons of info will come up, soy is the most common allergy in children and it is actually grow in adults too. I hope your little guy feels better.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2009