Has anybody ever made a car seat carrier cover? Like the cover you put over the carseat and baby to block it from the wind?

I looked at some patterns online and I looked at some that others had made and were selling on ebay to get an idea how to make them but I didn't know if it would be better to use fleece material or to use cotton matterial and put batting between the 2 pieces, and I didn't know if it would be better to use velcro on the face opening or put a zipper there.. Has anybody else made one of these that may be able to tell me a good way to do it or any pointers on what to do or what not to do? I'm pretty good with a sewing machine and I made all my baby bedding and a boppy pillow cover so I think I could figure out the basic concept of making the car seat cover, just not sure what type of fabric would be best or if a zipper or velcro would be better on the front. Thanks :)

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• no zip down front and velcro lap for face hole..works so much better and breathes easier...you can use any fabric i like a cotton poly mix.. but its up to you..i like do it in reverse and use two colors i also go get a waterproof barrier and put inbetween the outside layers, just incase it gets wet...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The waterproof barrier is a good idea!
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 5:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• by the time you make it you could of bought 5 of them they are only 15 at walmart
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 6:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Fabric is only $5.99 a yard and I have left over batting from my baby bedding that I can use and left over velcro from the boppy cover I made. And I'd rather make it so that I can have my own unique one and have a design that I like. The ones at our WalMart are just light pink and plain and non of my baby stuff is plain lol
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I made mine out of flannel ($2.99yd) for the outer and I found a quilted cotton back batting($4.44yd) and only needed a yd of reach. plus a little elastic, but mine doesn't go close to the face, it goes up over the handle so it's not all in the baby's face and it keep's the kid nice and warm, along with the weather off them.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2009