How can I get my toddler to stop biting? I have tried everything!

He will not quite biting he will bit anyone and even himself when he is mad.

AaronsMommy0315

Asked by AaronsMommy0315 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a ton of people bite back - i flicked my son in the mouth, of course I felt bad before doing it so it ended up being more of a nail tap - but then again, my husband bit him and he stopped getting bit and I still get bit so I am not sure... I can't bring myself to do it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My oldest bit a few times and my husband started biting back.... and it stopped.. but if your not into that rout, you can try seperating him and isolating him everytime he does it. YOu say he does it when he gets mad.. sounds like you need to step it and difuse the situation before he gets mad. If you start to see him get frustrated, don't wait for the worst, step it and help him resolve the issue. EX, somone takes a toy that he is playing with, drop what your doing, and gently grab himby the shoulders and help him use is words to ask for the toy back, if the other child refuses, handle the situation and help your son calmly get the toy back. Eventually he will learn to deal in an appropreat manner... IF stepping in doesn't prevent a bit, then seperate him from the situation before he bites till he is calm enough to deal with.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Safely attach something that is okay for him to bite onto his shirt. Every time he goes to bit, shove that object in his mouth so he starts learning not to bite people. Be consistant and this phase should pass. Also, don't praise him when he bites...remember that negative attention is still attention so if he bites someone else, overzealously ask them if they are okay and be really dramatic about it while ignoring your child and his behavior. GL
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 6:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Use time out when he bites others. I save time out for serious offenses like biting.
    When he bites himself, just ignore him. One of my boys will hit himself, bang his head, and/or throw stuff when he's angry. I ignore the first two and make him pick up whatever he's thrown. Both have curbed these behaviours.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009