Can you deny a doctor if theyre the only one on Call? ... Horror story

So today I went into the hosp because I was having intense back pain. I just wanted to make sure everything was okay. Well there is this doctor in town who has Several law suits against him. I’ve heard horror stories from people all over town about things he has done to people they knew, but I had never encountered anyone with a personal story until today… Well The lady I was sharing a room with was hysterically crying. So we got to talking and she said today was her scheduled c-section but something happened with her Doctor and they wanted her to be with Dr. Salas (the Horror story Doc)… So she ended up telling me she didn’t want him because her first baby was supposed to be delivered by him. She was fully dilated the baby was crowning and Salas still wasn’t there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• So the nurses called him and he had them push the baby back in and put a pillow between her legs and made her squeeze her legs so the baby wouldn’t come til he got there. When he got there the baby had become lodged and wouldn’t come out. So she had to have an emergency c-section… Now if this doctor is the only one on call when I go into labor can I deny him? Will they call in another doctor or midwife? Or will I be forced to be with this doctor? Also why did the nurses comply with this order? Is it common to shove a baby back into the birth canal.. Or what? I mean really?
    Anonymous

• Wow I've never heard of that before! Anyone I've talked to has said that the nurse will go ahead and start delivering the baby if the dr isn't there yet. I don't know about denying a Dr or not. I would think that you have the right to tell him no. But if htey bring in someone else or not is a different story. I would say when you go into labor call and ask who is there, and if its him go to the hospital in the next town over or something lol
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would! I really don't like my doctor or the hospital I'm going to be having my baby, I'm just keeping the faith.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i would find a practice that did not include that OB. a practice where there are a few OBs you trust. or midwives! that's what i'm doing. i'm going an hour away because here in my town there is like 1 good OB, but what if he's on vacation? so i'm going to a practice of midwives an hour away because i know that no matter who is on vacation, or who is on call, i will be with a midwife who respects me, my body, and my birth.

i probably would also not birth at a hospital where something like that is tolerated. see what other options are there for you within about a 1 hour radius.
    Anonymous

• i agree that i would call ahead and risk going to the next town.... the emergency personal if you have it on the side of the road sound better then this guy.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Sounds like a crap hospital moreso than a crappy doctor!! If a baby crowns at our hospital, or if it is in impossible for a mother to withholding pushing any longer, and the doc isnt there yet... the nurse delivers the baby. I have NEVER heard of anything like that before but the nurse should have just delivered the baby if it had actually crowned. There is a HUGE difference between being fully dilated and actually crowning though so maybe she was mistaken. And a pillow would NOT hold a baby inside!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If your baby starts coming the nurses should just help you. I delivered my tthird child w/out a dr, only a nurse telling me to stop pushing, but it was too late Miguel was already out. My mom did forbid one dr to ever touch me when we lived in a different small town when I was little b/c he was responsible for my sisters death. Just have a paper written up that states you don't feel comfortable w/ this dr.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 5:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I would deny the Dr or do like others have said to do and call the hospital and see who's on call and if it's him just go to another hospital.
    My best friend had her baby Sept 30th and I was asking her how everything went bc I refused to use the 2 Dr's and hospital in this town and she said everything was ok but her Dr wasnt ready and tried to push the baby back in there and she got pissed off and told him off.
    With my first daughter I was lucky enough to get to use my Dr (only female Dr at that OBGYN) the day she was born bc I went in the night before and she was going to induce me since I was past my due date and she was in call, but I'm nervous this time bc I may not get so lucky. At my appt last month my Dr was across the street at the hospital so I had to see another Dr and he was Asian and I could NOT understand him and the whole time I was thinking "Please God, dont let him be on call the day I have my baby."
    Anonymous

• Not sure where you live but where I live all nurses can deliver a baby, especially if they are working in Labor and Delivery. They are taught this. I don't know how you push a baby back in?
    Anonymous

• omg im glad my dr isnt like that at all..my first pregnancy the doc was HELL! he was on time yet when it was time to push, he had his big GIANT fingers in there as i was PUSHING and man did that HURT! even while the baby was crowning and comin out his damn fingers were in there and he kept saying push, i was in so much pain i was crying my eyes out like crazy...and AFTER the baby comes out he decides to CUT me..what kind of crap is that? i had stitches and horrible hemmorhoids from all that pushin..my 2nd was different doc diff hospital, it went nice and smooth no crying for me..it was really nice..oh and to top it off the 1st one my name was wrong when i got there, it was wrong 3 different ways and had to draw my blood twice cuz my nurse sent the blood down with the wrong name ..stupid hospital and doc..
    Anonymous