What is the best way to diagnos lactose intolerance?

My son of 9 years old maybe lactose intolerance. He saw a pediatric GI doctor who wants to perform an endoscopy to confirm this diagnosis. I have looked it up online such as webMD and the tests for lactose intolerance listed are much less evasive. They list a breath test, blood glucose test, stool acidity test, and a lactose test. I am very leary of putting my son through an endoscopy if it is not necessary. Does anyone have any info please??

MIELMORENA

Asked by MIELMORENA at 5:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Health

• Get a second opinion first would be my advice.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• bumpI have no idea but here is a bump for ya! Good luck, hopefully something better can be done! I'm pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant because dairy products make me really sick, but I haven't been to a doc for it. I hope they can do something to help him because it sucks not being able to eat ice cream without conseqences, especially for a kid lol. Take care!

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree, get a second opinion. That sounds like jumping the gun to me.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My grandson is lactose intolerant and they didn't do all of that to him. Look up symptoms of L.I. and see if he fits the bill. Then change his food and see if that helps him. The endoscopy won't hurt but why put him through the stress?

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Talk to your doctor and ask him about the less invasive tests. There could be a reason he wants to do this particular one. If after talking to him, he can't give you a valid medical reason for not trying the other tests, then take your child to another doctor.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009