What vaccines did you let the hospital give your newborn?

I was told about a couple that they have to have your permission to give... Like the Hepatitis Vaccine... Which vaccines did you give your children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• None. The chances of your newborn contraction Hep B at birth are exceptionally low, unless mom is infected (which I'm not). So I didn't allow any vaccinations. What's the point in bombarding abrand new baby's immune system with that?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• They just did one. But whatever they recommend I would do since i'm following the current vaccine schedule.
    Anonymous

• I never knew they gave you a choice. I would skip the hepatitis one for sure.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I let the hospital give whatever vaccines they were supposed to have for both my boys. I don't get this whole boycotting vaccines, it's been proven that they have helped for years now.There is NO proof that it is harmful.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The only vaccination my daughter received at the hospital was the Hep B vaccination. She did have the vitamin K shot but that isnt a vaccination, just letting you know about it as well. My son didnt receive the Hep B at the hospital so the immunization schedule obviously changed between his birth in 2004 and hers in 2007
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

I agree 100%!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• none. I would not suggest asking this question here. Do the research yourself. There are alot of resources out there. Look at the ingredients, research each individual ingredient, research the all the studies that have been done from both sides of the camp. Most importantly look at what the vaccine is for. I am not against families vaccinating, I'm against families vaccinating without doing any research. This is your childs health, it deserves the time.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The only vaccine given that young is the Hep B vaccine, which they don't need at birth. Or probably at all. I won't be getting it done for this baby I'm pregnant with now. The main people at risk for Hep B are intravenous drug users, sexually active people, and health care workers. It is transmitted through bodily fluids. Not necessary for a newborn! And Hep B is completely treatable anyway.

The other 2 things commonly given to newborns are erythyromicin eye ointment to prevent infections in the baby in case the mom has certain STD's that can be transferred through the birth canal, and the other is Vit. K shot to help promote blood clotting in the baby. You can decline all of these. I am declining the Hep B, and the eye gel if we're asked about it. They never brought it up when I had my son and I know he wasn't given it. In some areas it's standard, in others it's not. We do vax, but no reason for a newborn to get Hep. B vax
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i let them give my kids the hep b but that was the only one i was offered
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• They only asked me if I wanted to give them the Hep B vaccine. I okayed it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009