how do i wean my baby from breastfeeding

I have been BF for over 10 months. I need to stop for health reasons i have been putting them off for 6 months, so i could do the best for my baby. But now its no longer good for me. We are feeding about 3-4 times a day and 1-2 at night. i have to be done by next friday.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well if you have to be done and you have no other choice it sounds like that's it.

...if you can afford it i suggest you look into purchasing milk from a wet nurse. If not then i think it's best to make your own formula with goats milk. The baby may resist but i promise that he won't let himself starve.
    Good luck to you!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We have already gotten her to take whole milk just fine. she just wants to bf more. She will cry and scream until she gets it and it brakes my heart.
    Anonymous

• Make sure you *actually* need to wean. Lots of meds you can take and still BF. Otherwise, cabbage leaves in your bra, drink peppermint tea/eat altoids and have dad take over night time. Cuddle with her instead. Good luck mama!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 6:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The way I wean my kids is to drop one feeding a week and drop the bedtime feeding as the last one. The best reason to wean slowly is that it's easier on your body...no engorgment, no pain, no mastitis, etc. Since you have to wean fast, try dropping one feeding a day. Drop the bedtime one last, replacing it with a sippy of cow's milk.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2009