Plus sized women.... I have a question! (rib pain)

Does being overweight cause you to have rib pain?? The reason I ask is that I've recently put on a little weight and my ribs have been hurting. I don't know if there's a connection. (It feels like my ribs are sitting on or pushing on something??) I'll be asking my doc soon but my appointment isn't until next week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Health

• I don't know why weight would cause rib pain.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Me neither, really ...I've never been this weight before, so I'm not aware of how it feels. I am having rib discomfort and pain, so I just gravitated toward trying to explain to myself why I'm feeling that ....but if it's not normal, then I want to know. I can't even sit in any comfortable position a lot of the time - ugh! Thanks for sharing!
    Anonymous

• I am plus sized. I sometimes get rib pain, but I was in two car accidents within a 9 mo period that bruised my ribs, so I believe my pain is from that. I know some other plus sized women and they've never complained of rib pain. I suppose it's possible, if you've put on a LOT of weight, maybe, but I wouldn't think normally it would be. I'd just talk to the dr and see what they say.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've had it for a few years now. My stupid doctor keeps throwing pain meds at me saying it muscle spasms.

Please post what your doctor says so I can push my doc for something!

I literally feel like at times I can move the fat out of the way and the pressure is released....like moving the fat out of the way makes the ribs quit hurting. It's my lower ribs, mostly on one side towards the back but does run around to the front too.
    Anonymous

• Loes weight. Work go. Go for a walk. Eat healthy.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 6:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Loes weight. Work go. Go for a walk. Eat healthy

Who are you to say I don't exercise?? I DO! If you must have a run-down of my recent history?? ...I was raped, I missed my period by 2 or 3 months ...thought I was pregnant ...lost almost 20 pounds, and then gained that back due to STRESS and hormones out of whack! Turns out, I may still be pregnant after all ...that's why I'm seeing a doc. So please do not assume I'm not exercising! That wasn't helpful in the least!
    Anonymous

• And, I DO eat healthy ...salads, organic, very few desserts (except for yogurt), NO carbonated drinks ...I drink mostly water, some juice, some milk ...HEALTHY!
    Anonymous

• 6:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 by: Anonymous <---- Thank you for your reply. I will create a shortcut for this and try to get back here with what I find out from my doc. I'm mostly stressing over ...okay, is this pregnancy-related (I have had MANY pregnancy symptoms... MINUS the positive pee test, that is) ...or is this simply hormonal weight gain due to the rape and stress?? That's what I'm trying to get answers to.
    If I'm pregnant, fine ...I will NOT abort! I'm just worried, because I've had x-rays, CT scans, taken pain meds (all related to the assault) ....I will be heart-broken if my baby suffers due to all of that!! Praying that if I am, the baby is okay! :(

I guess I'm just trying to get my brain wrapped around the possibilities... possible causes for my symptoms. THANK YOU for your reply!
    Anonymous

• Update: So far, we have found that there is muscle problems due to the stress on my lower back and neck. (Not related to weight, but to the assault/s.) There are muscles that run up and down along the sides of the spine, and I have been feeling discomfort there... it seems to be related to (especially) the lower back problems. (Possibly nerves bruised or damaged causing those muscles to spasm.)

Waiting on more testing at this point.
    Anonymous