he holds his food in his cheeks while he's eating

my son is 2 1/2 and the past couple months when he eats he holds the food in his cheeks. i can't understand why he does this but sometimes it's aggravating when im in a hurry to feed him so we can go somewhere. how can i get him to stop? im constantly reminding him to chew his food instead of hold it in his cheeks but it doesn't seem to be working!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did this too! It was so annoying! And it made me paranoid because he would hold food in his mouth after meals and I wouldn't know itright away. He stopped after a couple weeks thank god. Sometimes I think it's because they don't like what they are eating, they aren't really hungry, or they are going through a faze. I would try maybe taking the food away if he keeps doing it, that seemed to work for my son, he finally figured out that if he didn't chew and swallow he wasn't going ot get food.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's a pretty typical phase. You could try feeding him from your plate one bite at a time. Remind him to chew and swallow before he gets another bite. If he's not complying, just eat yourself and then try with him later. If you're heading out the door, just be sure to bring healthy snack sfor him to eat when he's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• yep.....done that.

haven't figured out to get them to stop really....its not every meal.

but it passed for my oldest -
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son did this, but that was when he was just starting on table foods. He's 13 months and has since stopped doing it. I can't tell you why he did it, I wish I could. I do know that my son eventually stopped doing it as he grew more comfortable with the foods he was eating. Hope your son grows out of it too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009