How do i tell my 4yr old daughter that her father and i are seperated??

without hurting her feelings.He also wants to tell her,what do i say???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Id tell her that daddy will be living in a different house and you both love her so much. Explain to her that shell have two diff houses to go to to have fun! Make it positive and only say enough that a 4yo cna understand. She does not need details.If shes in school then Id go to a counselor for further advice. You can also talk to her pediatrition.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• However if you are separated and not living in sep houses then Id say nothing. Only mention this if a move is involved
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You can also tell her that mommies and daddies need their alone time like she does. Just do all you can to make her believe that its you and not her. Kids as u know blame themselves for their parents problems; Even at a young age.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You and your husband might both want to be present and talk to her at the same time and both be able to reassure her that everything will be ok. I would say something like: "Daddy and I are not going to be living together anymore. It is not because of you or anything you did. You will still be the most important person in both of our lives, Daddy and I love you very much and nothing will ever change that."
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i would'nt say it in so many words. she will figure it out in time. just say that he wanted to get his own house or whatever it is he is doing and you wanted to stay at your house and now you have 2 houses. If she asks yall to be together to spend the night...just play it off like your too busy and maybe you can explain it to her better when she is older. I would try to play nice with each other for her sake.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009