about the Commandment Thou Shall NoT Kill

does this commandment have conditions or special reasons attached to it that make it permissible for someone to kill? does the bible address this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. There are no if's and but's. Thou shalt not kill . Period.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The correct translation is thou shalt not murder, this one word makes a world of differance.
    Anonymous

• The anon above me said it the translation is murder, murder implys malice, rage, or hatrid. Jesus spoke of this in Matthew 5:21.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Sure it does!

Moses murdered a man, and years later enforced the 10 commandments.

The word "kill" is so loosely implies that I would have to say that the translation is wrong. Then again, so many things in the bible that "God" said ppl should not do, those of faith do everyday.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with TQ. Taking notice of the entire 10 Commandments, you see that the first 4 are about our relationship with God. You see that the last 6 are moral guidelines for our relationships with others. Something that is clearly meant will ill or to cause harm to another human being, in this case in the form of killing or "murder" would be wrong. Incidences where ill-will and harm to another person were not intended do not necessarily apply.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I believe that murdering for the "fun" of it YES is wrong! BUT if you kill in self defense or because you are the executioner giving out a death sentece then these are ok. We are not supposed to go around stabbing everyone who angers us Jesus asked us to love our enemies. But there are people who are a menace to society. To keep them all alive in jail till they die isn't working for us right now. Now my personal opinion is that people who are unrehabilitatable *sp?* should be given the death penatly BUT those who are rehabilitatable should be given life in prison. That is why we have judges and juries to help determine these things. Then programs to see if they are going to cahnge. But if you kill someone because you are angry, like your SO cheated on you so you kill him that's wrong. But if you SO went on a killing spree and got the death penatly that's not wrong. But agian jmho...
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 11:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I agree with NovemberLove and teamquinn
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If someone is holding a gun to my head...you best believe that "though shall not kill" is going out the window...I am not afraid to use a weapon. There's always a technicality and loophole.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The ten commandments section does not have subcategories spelling out legal loopholes. So the rules written there do not have any conditions attached to it. However, if you take the Bible as a whole you will find many cases where a man (or God) is portrayed as righteous in their acts of violence & murder. So it would appear that Jehovah did allow some loopholes, though these were given through anecdotal evidence rather than spelled out. One should keep in mind though that in the Bible some killings are condoned that would not come anywhere near cutting the mustard for being considered allowable today. So that has to be taken into consideration when trying to find Biblical evidence for loopholes to the 10 commandments.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If an intruder threatened to kill me or my family, I would do whatever I had to--include kill his worthless ass--to protect what is important to me. And, of course, only a few chapters AFTER god commands his people not to murder he then ORDERS the murder of 3,000 of those people. Killed by Israelite sword were not only the participants in the worship of the golden calf but their families, too!!! A big shock to grandma who was sitting in the tent babysitting the kids while the other adults were out dancing around an idol, when the soldiers suddenly rushed in to gut her and the kids with their weapons. Thou shalt not kill sure didn't last very long!! This account is in Exodus 32, in particular verses 26-28 if you want to check it out. God ordered--or commited himself--many, MANY killings and murders after this commandment was spoken.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009