Do you think society's definition of beauty has changed?

What is beauty to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• As for society yes it is much more narrow now, you have to be super skinny, tall, with straight hair it is ridiculous how women are protrayed still if someone is over weight on television they are unhappy or lazy. If someone is pretty but not perfect they want to change their eyebrows or hair or height.
    For me beauty is dressing nicely, having your hair done, I love slacks and I always see women in slacks that I want to have. I really think any one can be pretty if they know how to do it, with the right amount of makeup and some nice clothes.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 8:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• not really. the all-american/girl-next-door look is still highly favored, as is the vavavoom-chesty/wild-haired vixen look....just depends on whether you're going to a barbecue or church or PTA, or date night at the club. or what product is being sold.

my idea of beauty is a great smile, clean(w/or w/o makeup), proper fitting clothes, easy personality, ability to laugh, and holding your head high.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I hate the "popular" look right now -- like you see famous people look dirty and poor ( think the olsen twins ) ..I mean if those people were not famous ( if you didnt know who they were, and just seen them out and about ) you would think, eww..that person must of not showered in a few days.

To me beauty is: a "thicker" girl...like big hips and chest, medium-long hair, that is done, and who wears makeup... I am not one for a "natural" beauty.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I am my ideal beauty. I find a fully figure much more attractive than bones protruding. I find Nikki Blonsky to be much more beautiful than Angelina Jolie or the Olsen Twins (I agree that they don't look bathed).

OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think yes, in the entertainment and fashion industry things have changed. The definition of beautiful seems to be getting pretty narrow in that world.

I understand that a lot of women aspire to those ideals, but I also think that in the real world the defintion of beauty is much more inclusive. Long hair, short hair, straight hair, curly, thin, thick whatever. It can all be attractive. This is one of the reasons that I really like the show "What Not to Wear" (corny I know). The whole idea behind that show is that everyone is beautiful and everyone can look put together. I think that's a great message.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Lol....I just got high definition on my new tv and no one looks beautiful anymore. But yeah, I agree with what the hairnazi up above said.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• To the first question there is so much plastic surgery that beauty is skewed. The ugly chicks that get boob jobs make me laugh. To me beauty is walking with your head held high and ignoring the jealous women.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2009