My 15 month old daughter has a cold, my doctor recommended giving her 1/4 teaspoon of benadryl for the post nasal drip which she believes is causing her to cough. Has anyone ever tried this with a toddler?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i've never used benadryl, thats supposed to be for allergies. i've used that for him when his allergies kicked in but just for a normal cough i'd try triaminic cough and cold. its purple. and its for children. that worked like a charm!
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 8:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• get something for a cough and if its for a 2 yr old. Cut the dose in half the kid will be fine.
    Anonymous

• If the dr recommended 1/4 tsp of benadryl to dry up the mucus so that she could breathe, that's what you should do. If she's not better in a day or so, call him back. We did have to give our 19 m/o 1/2 tsp (it's by weight, per the dr said for HIM) for a spider bite that swelled up on him. Yes, benadryl is for allergies, but again, if that's what our dr told us, that's what we'd do.
    Anonymous

• I watch a 15 month old but her doctor gave her 1/4 txp of benadryl when she was 13 months for the same issues. It really helped her and I rarely had to give it to her. But her mom used those single servings one and we used like half of it I think. I loved those.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my baby is 16month and that sounds right some times even in winter they can get allergies but it will help if nothing else so they can sleep at night and sometimes you just need to get sleep to get over whatever you have even if your a baby if you trust your dr and i hope you do or you need to get a new one but i would do it even if you only do it at bed time good luck hope your little one gets better soon
    mrsmiked

Answer by mrsmiked at 10:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My pedi told me to give him Benedryl for something, I think it might have been post-nasal drip, but its been so long I can't remember.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 2:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The Benedryl will dry up the post nasal drip which is what the doctor feels is causing her cough. We've done it for our kids, too. Works great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My pediatrician told me the same thing and it's always worked. But be prepared it might make her very hyper for about a 1/2 an hour and then very sleepy.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes. My doc said the same thing for all the runny nose and it works just fine. Benadryl is not just for allergies. It's an antihistamine, so it works for allergies that cause runny noses as well as runny noses from colds. My son takes 1/2 tsp but that's what our doc recommended. Do what your doctor recommends. And for the PP who said to get cough syrup for kids and cut it in half: DO NOT DO THIS. That poster is stupid. Cutting a dose in half does not mean that the kid gets half the amount that a child gets. And whose to say that half is what the child needs. Trust your doctor, and if you don't, then get a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Benedryl is not only for allergies...it's how it's primarily marketed, but it can also be used for runny noses too. I've used it on my dd for things like that, and it works great! I usually only use at night since it does make her sleepy, but a sleeping kid with a non-stuffy nose is better than a not sleeping one who is all stuffed up!!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2009