1 yr old hitting herself?!?!

My 1 yr old daughter just recently started hitting herself on the side of her head.. some times hard enough to make herself cry.. I've tried telling her to stop and I've tried just ignoring her.. I'm not really sure what to do I've never seen a child do this.. is this normal? should I be concerned? how should I handle her self abuse?

cvinther2006

Asked by cvinther2006 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to her doctor. My son did the same exact thing when he was younger. He even hit his head against our solid oak couch. I for one do not think it is normal.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My daughter just started doing it at 17 months she is now 19 months and still doing it. Her Dr. said it was to get attention. When she does it I say Now dont hit yourself it hurts ot ouchie the baby;s head, then she will rub it. It is kinda how kids twirl around and around saying weee, it is to feel outside of there body, another Dr point of view. I thought she did it cause it made her dizzy and she thought it was funny. It will pass good luck
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2009