Are you satisfied with your son's circumcision?

Are you satisfied with your son's circumcision? Was it done right? Was too little skin removed or too much removed? Did it need to be fixed? Do you think it could have been done better?

I was not happy with my son's circumcision. It needs to be fixed; it doesn't even look circumcised. I'm just wondering if other mothers are having issues with their son's penis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i guess the end result im happy. but i was not happy the way they did it. the first pediatrician that came in gave me a choice. the ring or not the ring. so i was just waiting for when they were gonna do it because i wanted them to do the ring. because its alot easier to take care of. well i took a nap and a different pediatrician came in and said well we did it this way (which was not the ring) i was highly pissed. because i should have had a choice and the second one did not give me one. it was alot harder to take care of. having to put gauze and vaseline and it was more likely to get infected as where the way with the ring all you have to do is keep is clean. and less likely to get infected. so yes im happy with the end result but was not happy at the time he had it done.
    Anonymous

• I am happy with my son's circumcision, he did have the ring on his. It went very well. The ring stayed on for about 5 days and when it fell off, it was already almost healed. I was very happy with the pediatricians work.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i am happy with my sons circumcision but i didn't like the way they did it b/c we had to wait till he was 4 months b/c we didn't have the money when he was born b/c he was born early
    juliagirl90

Answer by juliagirl90 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OP- would you rather they have taken too much and cause lifelong problems? In an infant, it can be hard to determine what the "right" amount to cut off is, so, erring on the side of caution, doctors may take too little instead of taking too much.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• all 3 of our sons were circumcised..  2 were the regular procedure one was with the ring .none of them had any problems.

Anonymous

• My son was circumsized before we left the hospital.

They did NOT cut enough off. He looked somewhat cut, but it was obvious it wasn't completely done right.
    The pediatrician (not the one that cut him) suggested we wait until he was about 4 to consider re-doing it because she said some boys grow into it just fine.
    I knew if we waited I would never let them cut on him again.
    I let it go and actually around 6 he looked completely circumsized.
    Chickie12

Answer by Chickie12 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Well, I was happy with my son's circumcision, but my daughter's needs to be redone. They took too much labia off, and not it has to be fixed! Again. Ugh.
    Anonymous

• You can be happy that less skin was taken off because the foreskin allows for a full erection and amputating most of it is the reason circumcised males complain of tight, painful erections. I have three circumcised sons because I believed my doctor who said it didn't hurt, only took a minute, and would protect my sons. He lied!! When, as a nursing student, I witnessed a circumcision and heard the screams of the baby, I began to cry. The doctor looked at me and said, "There is no medical reason for doing this." I began my research that day, to learn that circumcision is painful, leaves physical and psychological scars, and isn't necessary. The US is the only country in the world to circumcise for non-religious, non-medical reasons. I'll go to my grave knowing my sons will never know the wholeness of their bodies or the fullness of their sexual experience because I didn't know enough to protect them. Please see www.nocirc.org.
    MarilynMilosRN

Answer by MarilynMilosRN at 11:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• The foreskin (prepuce) is present in all mammals. We call it the clitoral hood in the female. Mothers, how would it feel to have your foreskin amputated to allow exposure of the glans clitoris? Would we do this to our daughters? No? Then, why our sons? Circumcision is allowed because it has been practiced for millennia, but it began in the 1800s to prevent masturbation, and has only been practiced on the majority of males in the USA since WWII, when birth was pathologized, mothers were hospitalized, and insurance companies paid for both birth and circumcision. When we look at the practice through the legal, ethical, and human rights lens of the 21st century, we see there is no place for this anachronistic blood ritual in civilized society. There are no valid medical indications for circumcision, so it is not a medical issue, it's a human rights issue. Circumcision is a personal decision. It's his body, it should be his choice!
    MarilynMilosRN

Answer by MarilynMilosRN at 2:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• It doesn't matter whether or not a mother is happy with her son's penis, the point
    is, how will the boy feel about it when he grows up, and how will his WIFE feel? I was circumcised against my will, my own choice was denied. It was one of the grossest violations of me and my humanity imaginable. My wife is also very unhappy that this mutilation was done to my penis. Why did no one think of HER, if not of me? I am not the only one in this marriage condemned to a lifetime of sexual dysfunction. What about HER? When will women start considering WOMEN'S best interests? Male foreskin amputation abnormalizes penises, just as female foreskin amputation abnormalizes vulvas. Abnormalized sex organs abnormalize sex, permanently, for life. How hard is that to understand? What have my parents to do with sex between me and my wife? What SHOULD they? It's none of their business, but they sure butted into our bedroom, grossly, FOREVER. Mad.
    BoysAreHumanToo

Answer by BoysAreHumanToo at 2:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2009