I am feeding my 6 week old son bottles with 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula (because I am not producing enough breast milk.) He is very gassy, can anyone recommend a good formula for gassy babies?

Maxsmommy0909

Asked by Maxsmommy0909 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get Mylicon drops they are the best!!! They work instantly. I give them to my son every day. Make sure you get the dye free one though other wise it can be messy!!!
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I am doing the same thing with my babies (mixing breastmilk/formula) Have you tried using the herb fenugreek to help you produce more milk? It has given me a boost but I am so far behind in production I can only pump about 2 ounces and my babies are eating a combined 7 ounces. My babies were also really gassy I switched formula to enfamil gentlease. They no longer sound like grown ups passing gas.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 8:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Gentle ease by infamil purple can
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 8:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I wasn't producing enough milk either but then I increased my feeding and my water intake and by a couple days I was good to go. The more formula you give him, the less milk you will produce. Your milk is produced according to demand.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Funugreek
    Anonymous

• fenugreek, oatmeal and plenty of water will help your production as well as nursing frequently. Pumping is a really horrible gage of your production in general.

It may be the lactose in a milk based formula that is giving him gas or something that you have eaten, like broccoli or peanuts. Try mylicon drops or strap him into his carrier and put him on the dryer for a few minutes (simulates a car ride which often help with gas.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Are you exclusively pumping? Does he have a hard time latching? Your first goal should be getting him to latch so that you can get rid of the formula altogether. The breastfeeding moms group should have some good advice on how to do that! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Mylicon drops can help if he is in discomfort. Also vented bottles such as playtex ventaire and dr browns bottles also help.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Thanks for the help. To the anonymous responder...no need for vulgarity, my doctor is the one who suggested mixing bm and formula.
    Maxsmommy0909

Answer by Maxsmommy0909 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• To anonymous-we are all here to respectfully help each other by taking our time to give advise and opinions of things to try. What a nice way of offering help and support during such a busy time.

Maxsmommy-my daughter is using half BM and half Enfamil Isomil formula. We compared them on their site & this has helped her release the gas & she seems to rest/sleep better.

Adrismamaw

Answer by Adrismamaw at 10:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2009