how can i get my 3 year old daughter to stay in bed?

up until about a month ago i had no problems at bed time. now all of the sudden right after i put her to bed she calls me in her room making up all kinds of reasons to get up and not go to bed. she says she has to potty, or shes thirsty, or she wants another kiss, or her blanket is messed up. she doesn't take naps anymore( i wish she did) so i try to put her to bed at 8pm every night, and she wakes up around 7 or 8am. i know its normal for kids to go through this not wanting to go to bed stage, but what can i do to get her to stay in bed?

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 8:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take her to the store and let her pick out her own sheets. Put a bottle of water beside her bed with her favorite picture from a magazine taped to it. It worked for my 2 year old. Good Luck:)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I had this issue with my daughter, who will be 3 this month. The phase lasted for about 3 months and it was torture! I tired everything. To make is worse if my cousin came to stay the night, she is 15, she would put Eva to bed, close the door and Eva would go right to bed! I tried an extra story, not making bedtime rushed, night light and music on, animals in bed and she would still find the need to get out of bed and stand in the hallway. A few weekes ago it just stopped and I put her to bed the same way and she would be sleeping within a few minutes. She still has a night light on to fall asleep, her music and 2 books in bed with her. Good luck! Hopefully you can find something that works. Just remember it won't last forever:)
    jodim828

Answer by jodim828 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• duct tape.
    AngieAvila

Answer by AngieAvila at 4:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'd better post this Anon because heaven knows what kind of flack I may get for it.

We had this same problem with our daughter, who is almost 3. The biggest problem was she began getting up in the middle of the night, just because she knew she could: over and over and over, until one night she was up every. single. hour.

We got fed up and decided to try a new tactic: we used a childproof lock on the inside handle of her door, so she could not leave by herself. I realize this is considered a safety hazard in case of a fire, but that's why we used a baby monitor in her room so we were AWARE that she was trying to get out, but we did not have to give her attention (which is of course what she wants when getting up after bedtime). After only about a week, the problem was completely solved. She began staying in bed and when she wakes up now, she calls for us instead of coming out herself.
    Anonymous

• maybe before bed you could read her a story. then let her sleep with a night-light on. and put a plastic cup of water in her room ,so if she gets thirsty she knows where the water is.gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009