refuses to burp.

has anyone's baby refused to burp. like my 3 week old will eat half his bottle then i try to burp him, sometimes he refuses, he will whine and bob his head looking for the nipple. who keeps trying to burp even though they are like this or who just lets them finish eating without trying to burp them anymore?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was this way. He'd bob his head, squirm around, kick his legs, fuss (well, yell actually) - basically do every single thing babies do when they've got gas bubbles in their tummies. But he would not burp. Sometimes, it would take both parents and a half hour or more to get the gas out of him and sometimes we just had to wait for it to work it's way through to the other end.
    Try sitting him up (support his head!) and bend him forward at the hips. Sometimes, doing this several times then putting him over your shoulder works. Laying him on his back and moving his legs in a pedeling motion helps some babies as well.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 8:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My boys were like that - absolutely awful about burping. They did best with the sitting position while holding lightly under the chin. They were just impossible. Their sister, on the other hand, had and still has no problem letting burps fly.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son kind of did that too when he was a newborn. I did notice though that if he DID have to burp, it wouldn't take very long...like probably 5 mins at the most. So I tried to burp him in between sides and if after a couple mins he didn't burp, I'd just go head and feed him again. When he was done though I always made sure I got a burp out of him.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my baby still is hard to burp though not as bad as before. i tried an elevator motion even, sitting down faster with him on my shoulder b/c he was making the face of being in a real pain at approx. 2 mths of age. he always cried and did not let us put him down till he burped. at 8 mnths he screemed burp. the most worried we were when he started to throw all his legs up and down while eating, alike a turbin pumps any liquid. was he to be hiperactive i was thinking. did not look like that. later i discovered he never released the nipple when suckling his milk and there was under pressure inside of his bottle. can you imagine suckling so hard through that little nipple hole. he did. later we did teach him to open his mouth on request pushing slightly his jaw down, said OK to resume and ... his first word was OK, to hear to approx. 2 mths!(what an agreeable boy)(heard most babies learn NO 1rst). giving him short tummy t workedbest
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It's okay that they don't burp every feeding. Unless your child shows signs that gas is bothering them, then you needn't worry about it. Signs like they're in pain, or constipated, etc. You can give them a warm bath or rock their knees gently to and from their chest to help remedy their gas pains. However, if your child is content with drinking the whole bottle without burping then that's okay. My son never did the burp in between, he'd always burp after he was finished and that was that. Sometimes it'd be 20 minutes later or sometimes it'd be right away. Unless they're showing signs of gas build up, you don't need to worry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009