Gift ideas for teens?

I have 2 teen daughters ages 18 and 15 who are picky about things, but are thankful for what they receive. I want to make them happy because they are good girls, do well in school, and help me so much at home - they deserve nice things on Christmas.

I bought them each a gift card to Border's and a gift card to Starbucks, but I don't know what to get them as a regular type gift that they can actually open. I mean, I don't want their gifts under the tree to be a couple of envelopes, I want them to be able to unwrap some gifts, too.

I need ideas please.....help!

PrydferthMenyw

Asked by PrydferthMenyw at 9:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• If I were you I'd stick with the gift cards... teenagers are hard to please
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Maybe you guys can cruise the mall or other stores for other family members (like dad) and have them point out some of the things they like. Go into the stores they like to shop at. Spend some time over lunch talking about what they might want for Christmas and go from there. Its great that you have such lovely daughters! :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You put the gift card in big boxes and put them under the tree. Teen only want money anyways

Answer by louise2 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Do they wear footies/slippers? My sister (42) love novilty slippers (frogs, mice, etc...)
    Maybe get them larger stockings this yr to put under the tree and fill the stockings up with their favorite bath things, maybe hair stuff that they like to wear, slippers/footies and the gift cards, maybe add additional gift cards to other places they like to shop at a lot...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Check out my journal on gifts for teen girls! It should show up when you click my profile. You could always package the gift cards in boxes, a cd case of something else too. My mom did a cd for me when I was a teen that I had wanted and when I opened it up to listen to it a gift card fell out. It was a cool surprise ;) Happy Holidays!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 11:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• How much do u want to spend? Do they have Ipods? Are they into jewelry or pocketbooks? Nice make-up such as MAC? Maybe a few designer clothes if they like that stuff such as Aeropostale sweatsuits or Hollister T-shirts? A new cell phone?

Those are some things that my teenaged goddaughter asks for.
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 11:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Here is what you do. Find a catalog from a store they like. Have them look through the catalogs and mark what they like with a post it note. Then you choose something from the things they have marked in the catalog. They don't know exactly what you are going to pick, so they are still surprised. This way, they get something they actually like and will use, and there is less stress on you to find the perfect gift. I don't know about other stores, but places like Walmart let you go online and create a wish list, kind of like a wedding registry. That may be another options for you.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I see some great ideas here....thank you!
    They hate it when I buy them clothes because I never choose what they like and if I have them pick them out and try them on, then it isn't much of a surprise. We do that sort of shopping throughout the year.
    They do love slipper socks and wear them around the house, so that is a good idea.
    Their daddy bought them new iPods this year to replace their old MP3 players and he bought them some iTunes gift cards so they can purchase some music online.
    They aren't very 'girlish' but they like some of the jewelry from Spencers as long as it is 'clean.' One daughter is into the Japanese culture and speaks it so my husband's friend who is stationed in Japan is sending over an authentic calendar for her. My other daughter love Greece and Greek mythology, but I don't know what sorts of things to get along those lines.
    I can get them a gift card to Bath & Body Works, too.
    Thanks ladies :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• do they like to read alot? because if i got a gift card to borders at those ages, i would be pretty disapointed. i think you should ask them what they want. or give them money.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The Christmas that I turned 18, I got tons of stuff to move out. Dishes, toaster, towels, pots and pans, etc. You could get her things for college if she's going. It felt cool getting "adult" items. But make sure you throw in some "kid" gifts too. Like funky socks or chunky jewelry.

As for the 15 year old. Honestly, the gift cards are the way to go. Does she want a specific DVD? You could start getting her the 1st season of her favorite TV show on DVD. Or depending on the amount of money you want to spend, see if her favorite band is coming to town. What 15 year old wouldn't want to receive concert tickets from "Santa?!"
    Born2BAMommy5

Answer by Born2BAMommy5 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009