my 3 week old daughter eats and eats and eats! is it ok?

she started off normal with 1-2 oz every 2-3 hrs. now she is almost 1 month and eats 28-31 ozs a day! she will sleep A LOT less and eat so much more. everyone says she wont over feed herself but im not sure if this is a phase or also heard about adding rice to make it thicker but heard i shouldnt do that for a while. please help!

Fayad.mommy

Asked by Fayad.mommy at 9:15 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im not exactly sure... but my 3 week old son, i put a pinch of rice in his bottle. not a whole lot i tried to put a tablespoon in and he seemed like he couldnt suck it through the nipple so i just put a pinch of rice in there.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Before adding rice to the bottle I'd ask the doctor first. If the baby needs the nutrition in the formula, then adding a thickener to it would cut back on the nutrition. See what the doctor suggests. It may be that the baby is growing very rapidly and needs the nutrition.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Feed her if she's hungry.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I think growth spurts come at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months so your baby is probably having a growth spurt and may not eat so much after a few days. I would not give rice cereal to a baby this young. If she doesn't seem to slow down in a few days then check with your pediatrician but this sounds normal- I nursed my daughter, but during a growth spurt she would want to eat almost constantly. I know it can be hard, especially when they want to eat all night, too, but it shouldn't last too long. Plus your daughter is getting older, I remember when my daughter was a few months old the ped said she should be getting 28-32 oz daily I think.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Babies should consume 2 to 2.5oz of malk par pound of body weight in 24 hours. I would not add cereal. Especially if shes satisfied after feedings. If you are truly concerned ask your doc!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009