Did your pediatrician order a CBC(complete blood count) for your 18mos old?

My doctor says that this is routine..is it? I have great insurance and I always feel like they're ordering unnecessary test. I don't want my DD to have blood drawn unless she needs it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Health

• No, my daughter's pedi did not do that. I would refuse unless they are concerned for some reason..
    themacs4

Answer by themacs4 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• yeah my dd had one b/c she was a little anemic but all they do is prick her finger the test is also called a pcv (peak cell volume)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• My son's pedi did, but I don't remember if it was 18 mos or 2 yrs.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OP here.... DragonRider, was it just a prick or did they draw blood?
    Anonymous

• First, I  would call him up and let him know that you need further explanation for the reason why he feels your child should have blood work. Let him know that "this is routine" does not give you enough information to make the decision if your child should or should not have lab work.  Ask him if the following test will be covered under the one blood draw.  The panel of test cover CBC (complete blood count) where there is a Chem Panel with 17 different test involved along with RBC (red blood count) and WBC (white blood count).   If you still don't like his explanation I would look for another Physician for your child.   Was your child in for a well baby exam or sick child exam that prompted him to want to order labs on your child?

delmarnative

Answer by delmarnative at 10:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• OP here...It was a well visit. My DH took her and just mentioned how the doctor order her this test.
    Anonymous

• my doctor didn't do this for my son....who was also a premi born, with low blood sugar and jaundice...but turned out to be really healthy by 2months.

And my son's doctor is a very careful by the book doctor.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• That isn't routine. Maybe something more is going on?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2009