How can i stop my child from chewing everything??

Paigernut

Asked by Paigernut at 10:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put something else in her mouth. When my son was little, he'd have his pacifier in his mouth, which made it hard to chew on other things.

Other than that, though, you can't stop it. It's one of those things babies do. All you can do is make sure baby can't get a hold of things you don't want to be chewed on.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Give him things to chew on. Teething rings and other teething toys. They are like puppies.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• You can't. The best you can do is try to control what your child chews on, but know that everything they can get their hands on will go into their mouth. My daughter is 13 months and I can still watch her playing with something new, testing it out, and then inevitably she puts it in her mouth. Babies explore things by putting them in their mouth, it is actually a good thing, even though it can be totally gross when you turn around and they are chewing on something disgusting.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• When my daughter was going to the physical therapist, she chewed on everything in sight. The PT told us that as long as it is safe for her to chew on it, let her at it. It is a big part of development.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I've heard frozen waffles are cool on the gums and it has built in drool cups!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It's natural for your baby to be chewing on everything. Give them specific chew toys. If your baby likes their chew toys cold, then there are specific freezable chew toys. There are soo many options on the market that will help with teething and just the need/want to chew.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009