Why do they go from outgoing to shy?

My DD will be 4 soon & she has always been outgoing & now she freezes up around people we don't know. People will tell her how cute she is & she wants to hide behind me. Is this a phase?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't really know.... My son can go either way with people- he either immediately loves them, or won't talk to them for hours. All depends on his mood.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My doctor warned me about this before my son's 12 month appointment. He said that when kids get older they recognize "strangers" more than they do at a young age. I personally think part of it has to do with people losing the urge to hold babies as much after they are big enough to crawl or walk. KWIM? Everyone wants to pick up the new baby and hold him/her so they are used to seeing all kinds of faces. But that is just my hypothesis. lol
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 2:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2009