is walmart vision center expensive?

How much is a routine eye exma?
How much is it for contacts or eye glasses and lenses?
I have glasses but i need new lenses and would like contacts too. i do have insurance under my husband (military tricare) but its under Tricare standard and i dont want to pay out of pocket because i think it could be more then paying just cash with out insurance or maybe i am wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I just called there today. Standard eye glass exam is like 39.00 and contact lens exam is 69.00.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We've only used them once when we didn't have eye insurance, and the prices were really cheap, but their quality sucked. The doctor somehow wrote the wrong prescription for my hubby so when he got his glasses (3weeks after the appointment) they were way off, and it took them another 2 weeks to fix them. Then within a month the glasses he got (he paid around $75 for the frames and everything) broke. So he took them back and they took 3weeks to fix them. Then a few weeks later they broke again, but luckily by that time our insurance had started so we saw a private doctor. I want to say the visit to get the prescription and all was around $55. Contact prices depend on the brand, but they advertise Acuvue contacts for around $26 a box

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 10:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• It depends on how much being able to see properly is worth to you. I personally would go to a regular optometrist in an established private practice. The Wal*Mart prices seem comparable with a private practice, so why not pay the same price and get better service.
    Anonymous

• Exam prices are average to local optometrists. Their glasses are cheaper, but you do get what you pay for.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• i get my sons glasses there they are nice flexable ones. the cost $220!!!!!!! at walmart but i could of got the the cheaper ones but i wanted nice ones for him. check out sears too they run good sales.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• my opt. office charges about 100 dollars for either contact or glasses exam....they can tell you what your prescription for contacts would be knowing what your prescription for glasses would be plan on spending at least 200 dollars on a good pair of eyeglasses and there is no way in letting you know how much contact lens will run you mine cost 160 a box each box has six lens you will need to boxes one for your right and one for your left because you dont have the same prescription in both eyes....well most people dont i'm one of those weird people that actually have both eyes the same but all in all i never go to an eye appointment with at least 500 dollars to spend
    ISLUVZOLIVIA

Answer by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 11:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I don't know what TriCare Standard covers, but we have TriCare Prime and our exams are covered for free.
    I buy our eyeglasses there because the inexpensive frames are perfectly good, it's the lenses that cost the most money, and we were given a 10% discount.
    2 years ago I paid about $110 for a new pair of glasses, including the frames and insurance on them. Not too bad.
    I have no clue about contacts, sorry.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 2:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• At the Walmart here, the eye exam itself is $75!! The glasses start as low as $9. I talked to the lady at the desk and she said overall I was looking at around $150 and that's if I got the cheapest pair of frames.
    JenniferMiller0

Answer by JenniferMiller0 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2014