I'm AFRAID of Thanksgiving!!!!!

What am I suppose to do? I became a vegeterian this year and (while I DO NOT celebrate Thanksgiving) the entire family is getting together as usual, but everything is pork this, and turkey that! Greens are made w/neckbones, black eye peas w/ bacon, hams, turkeys, duck, OMG I can go on forever!!! Im so scared to face my relatives. They are going to force me to eat and I just know that once I tell MY fam that I am vegeterian, they will laugh and then try to change my mind...uugghhh!

Any advice on how to deal? Thanx!

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• mm make your own food and bring it like a pot luck? tell them how you eat and you wont be eating any meats. Make vegetable casseroles, asparagus?
    Anonymous

• I don't eat red meat and was a solid vegetarian for years so here is my advice. First off make sure you warn them ahead of time that while you appreciate their intentions you will not be eating any meat this year and make sure to clarify what meat means. A lot of people don't realize that meat can includeby products in things like gravy, broth etc. Bring a few safe dishes of your own to share. Mashed potatoes are usually safe at events like this. Roasted vegetables and salads usually are as well. Google vegetarian thanksgiving recipes and make at least three things so that your plate isn't empty and bringing on unwanted comments. Try to enjoy yourself. If anyone asks remind them nicely that Thanksgiving isn't about food its about being thankful for the things you've been blessed with. Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

• no advice, take your tofu with you and let your momma tell you what you are missing out on.
    Anonymous

• i love the casseroles...i can't wait..i guess i will be eating left overs though since i have to work =(
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• If they will lough at you let them, brush it off stand up for what you are and the choices you made, bring your favorite vegetarian dish and eat it with pride momma.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'm not a vegetarian, but just explain to them that this is the lifestyle you've chosen for yourself and that they need to respect your choice. But you have to remember, you can't be offended by their choice to eat meat, you're in the minority here. Its like w/ me, I had gastric bypass, I have to adapt my eating habits to everyone else. I mean there are foods that I can't eat and that's just the way it is, but I can't go to my in-laws and expect them to prepare food that's just to please me.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 2:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If this is your family, talk to your mom maybe give her a vegetarian cook book. Maybe you could make a dish or two for yourself ans bring them along. My brother has been a vegetarian since high school and my mom always makes things for him so that he is not completely left out. She will even make somethings the regular way and the vegetarian way. Frankly i can't tell the difference between them most of the time.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Go to the grocery store and buy a "To-furkey" and bring it with you! I know Wegmans in NY and PA carries them and i'm sure others do as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I had this problem. My family always made fun of me over thanksgiving, etc. They would eat their turkey, etc. really grossley in my face and ask if it grossed me out. I didn't care what they were eating- it was just nasty having them chomp it in front of my face.

I started bringing my own stuffing dish to pass made with no meat/stock, etc. Also, the desserts are usually safe (unless you do not eat eggs and dairy- your family may make even more fun of you if you do this- I know mine did). Maybe bring a fresh veggie try as well.
    Cheese, crackers, your 'free' stuffing and veggie tray. If you're not preg- enjoy a big glass of wine and try not to let it get to you.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• and be thankful that anon 10:22 isn't your sister or mom...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009