What is a unique spelling for Alexander? Should we keep the origninal spelling?

If our baby is indeed a boy we are naming him Marc Alexander(Marc is my DH's middle name).

tickled_pink09

Asked by tickled_pink09 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• unique: Alixzandre
    Anonymous

• What's the matter with Alexander? Spellings do not make a name unique... Originality makes it unique.
    Anonymous

• First Name: Alec
    Middle Name: Zander
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Alexander. My ds has a unique spelling and everyone spells it wrong all the time. It's just annoying really.

I'm not judging people who do it. I just wouldn't do it again. We had just settled on a name a few days before I went into preterm labor, and I gave them the first spelling that came to mind when they asked. I didn't care that it was a unique spelling at the time, but now I do. (They actually stopped labor and I carried to full term, but I didn't change it on the paperwork when we went back in.)

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• I did not know this got posted twice lol. I thought it did not go through.
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Nothing is wrong with Alexander. It was just a thought I had..
    The more I think of it, the better the original sounds. It is such a great name anyhow...
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• how about Alyxander. ??
    MOMMA111

Answer by MOMMA111 at 5:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I had thought of Alexeander
    tickled_pink09

Answer by tickled_pink09 at 5:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My sons name is spelled Alxzandr. A lot of the time we call him Zandr. I just wanted something different.
    Eilissa

Answer by Eilissa at 6:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I vote keep the original spelling. I personally don't like names with unique spellings. He'll just have to spell out his name for everyone all his life. To avoid confusion I've always gone with classic spellings.

I find sometimes people use unique spelling and technically those spellings should change the pronounciation of the name. But they keep the classic pronounciation. I don't understand why someone would want to do that. An example, if you follow the Duggar's, is Josh's daughter MacKynzie. That, technically, would not be pronounced Mackenzie. That "e" makes a difference.

In the example you gave of Alexeander, that technically wouldn't even be pronounced Alexander (yes, I know, it doesn't matter, it will be pronounced however you want it to be). Think of the word "meander". I just think it's confusing.

Perhaps I analyse too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2009