why is it wrong?

Why is it wrong for me to try and get labor going right now (almost 34 weeks pregnant)? I am planning on drinking the raspberry leaf tea, walking and lots of sex...and everyone keeps saying it is selfish to start trying now (started at 36 weeks with DD and she came overdue, which is why we are starting now). But on the other hand everyone keeps telling me the baby wont come til he is ready, so why is it selfish if it wont do anything anyways?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In my opinion it is selfish. Baby needs to cook for a couple weeks. Don't risk complications b/c YOU'RE uncomfortable. I would leave baby in there as long as "he" needs to.
    Jem0582

Answer by Jem0582 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• Because what if labor started sooner and your baby had to be in NICU because the lungs were not developed and had to be on a vent and couldnt eat from a nipple or bottle for awhile and ate with a tube down his nose. What would have been the point of it then? To me, it is selfish. If you can not handle the pregnancy, then try not to get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• It is selfish because every pregnancy is different, and you do not know what your actions will do to THIS baby. Just because nothing happened last time, doesn't mean the same will happen this time.
    Do you really want to live with that kind of guilt the rest of your life if something bad does happen? Not to mention having HURT your baby just because you're tired of being pregnant...
    Babies typically come when they are ready.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• We are told 40 weeks for a reason not 34 weeks. It really is not that much longer. Just hang in there.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• By definition-- what you'd be doing would be for your own purposes, not your baby's preferences.
    Your baby and body don't want to be in labor, deliver. If they did you'd... be in labor & delivering.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:49 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• its just ignorant for you to think that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2009

• The things that you listed are not going to move things along any quicker. Your baby is going to come when it's healthy enough to do so. Shoot for 37 weeks on if anything. By 37 weeks your baby should be completely healthy enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• u can do what ever u want! I had SEXXX like crazy at 35 wks, and the twins were 100% fine! If you want to get him out, its not selfish. Dont let all of these mommies tell u ur selfish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Because due dates are an estimate. You may think you are 34 or 35 weeks, but it could be off somehow and that baby is born at the 30-32 development mark and has problems. I don't understand people not waiting till 40 weeks to 'get things going.' Its like driving BEFORE 16 and drinking BEFORE 21, etc.... What does it really hurt to let things come in their own time...whether its a baby or a rites of passage?!? That precious being inside of you needs all its time to develope and in my opinion it is selfish to force it into a world its not ready for.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2009