Whats a duplex?

I'm looking at renting houses and a lot of them say duplex what exactly is a duplex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It's a house that actually houses two families. The living quarters are separate, there is a wall between your houses. They're cheaper than a house to rent (but many are just as nice or nicer) and larger but more expensive than an apartment.

I live in a really nice duplex. I never hear my neighbors through my walls, and the place is set up just like a house. I actually really like it.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Two houses that share one wall.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• A duplex is one house with two apartments side by side, basicaly sharing one wall. A "double" is where one apartment is on the first floor and the second is the second floor (upper and lower)
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think this terminology varies by region. In my region, a duplex is the same as what Mom2Jack04 called a "double." Two homes sharing a wall is called a "twin."
    Anonymous