How to bounce back from a layoff with a bad review?

I worked one year with a terrible boss who didn't appreciate anything that I did for her. The job itself was a small non-profit that I took the place of three different job skills. I was very dedicated to the job with really good work ethics and all the financial records that I kept were honest and exact.
How can I turn good out of the bad when I have to describe my experience with my next interview with grace when I know that my ex-boss will tear me apart if used as a reference?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• i have been in that situation the best thing is tell the truth the way it was to the new employer that and just explain to them that u left on bad terms
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 12:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Your previous employer is not allowed to disclose anything bad (that would open them up to a law suit) they are only allowed to verify that you worked there and what your dates of employment and wages were, that is it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• You need to stay positive! Legally, your former employer can't say anything negative about you; I would have a friend in HR call and do a reference check on you just to make sure.

Never say anything negative about a former employer; simply say that the position was eliminated.

Now, get moving on your search: Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company. Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you The CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group has a lot of great tips: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 9:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

Sadly that is not true. Many think it is but in many states employers can say negatives. Most don't they are usually glad to have problem employees out of their hair. You should be honest with your previous employers and let them know your working conditions were not ideal and you are looking forward to working with them in such a professional environment. Deal with it head on. When they don't see you as bitter and angry they won't put much stock into what a former employer might have to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Talk about your Actual Skills, that is what most want now, someone to hit the ground running with no training needed.    www.brainbench.com to document your skill's  It is all about a companies bottom line.

Anonymous

• Have you ever thought about working from home? I work from home! I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 8 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I've been working at home for over a year and I've been able to find some successful jobs working at home as an independent contractor, I got some information through this site and I've gotten a lot of help try visiting the site and give them a try, they may be able to help you out if your trying to build your own business, I know they've help me. :)
    http://www.wahmjobfinder.com/livelonger
    WAHMLivingHappy

Answer by WAHMLivingHappy at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2009